jamesgasho89

to chain or not to chain (snow tires)

jamesgasho89

Hello to all at redsquare.. been a member a few months and this is my first post.

I have been able to refrain from asking the most basic of questions. Thanks to trial and error and the search bar;)

I have been working on a 1967 1257 with the k301. It is time to do something about tires. My father has a pair of 23x6-12 ag tires mounted on wheel horse rims already and a set of 53 homemade wheel weights. I am only in to this tractor for purchase price, belt, spark plug. My question is what do you think would be a better set up skinny ags and weights for more lbs per in or wider turfs with weights and purchase a set of chains.. my daughter and I have enjoyed our spring time purchase. Cruising on her little pony... ps any body able to gelp me get some pics on here i only have mobile access and am unable to resize pics to be under 1 mb

Hodge71

You would be hard pressed to find a better set up for plowing snow than turfs and good v bar chains. I have plowed my 3/8 mile long dirt lane with that set up on my 1973 18 Automatic and my boys 1971 Charger 12... I spent my early years plowing my parents 300 foot long driveway with that set up on my Dads 1973 12 Automatic. Just done sling the tires for too long on the asphalt or concrete. Especially if its cheap stuff. I never hurt my parents but I have heard other doing some damage because they dont pay attention

Geno

You will appreciate the chains if there's any ice involved.   :)

AMC RULES

Either way, you gotta chain 'em up.

:wwp:

:WRS:  

jamesgasho89

Yes damage to asphalt and mainly my tranny is my biggest objection to the chains.. this is a 3 speed tractor. Which I know its pretty stout ive moved a dead 4x4 from the street and around the block up a incline to make it in to my back yard. I have no drivers license any more for my lack of thinking a few years back. Has any one had issues with citaitions for using snow chains on public roads. I know tire studs are illegal in my state.

dbartlett1958

James,

I doubt anyone is going to write you up for having chains on your Wheel Horse in the winter.

Welcome!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

On my 518xi, I ran turfs (23x10.50-12) without chains this past winter pushing a plow. I did have wheel weights and suitcase weights on it but never bothered with putting the chains on. It wasn't a problem. This year I am trying skinny ags that are loaded (23x8.50-12) on my 523Dxi that will have my snowthrower because they came with the tractor. I also feel that a narrower tire can put more pressure on the ground. But just in case, a set of chained turfs will be available. All my tractors have been retrofitted with studs so I can swap them in about fifteen minutes or less.

1maidenfan

I run chains on my tires year round, never tore anything up.

FYI... tire studs are NOT illegal in Indiana, my local Toro dealer is also a tire store (GRANT COUNTY GENERAL TIRE) they stud tires all the time. 

pfrederi

I have been impressed with this set up on an Electro12.   The narrow tires (6.00x12)  69lb weights on each side plus some more on the hitch,and the chains (the zigzag design make it a smoother ride) combined with the limited slip differential are awesome.  You can make the engine lug down before the wheels spin.

post-1023-0-35499400-1407943926_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rmaynard

I never take my chains off the B-100. I run turfs and chains year round. I do not cut grass with that one, but for pushing stuff, you just can't beat that combination. My asphalt driveway does take a lickin', but it is mostly superficial. During the winter it looks bad because the scratches are nice and fresh, but by the time summer gets here, Mother Nature has done her thing with all the tree pollen and other stuff, and the scratches just seem to fade away.

oldredrider

For an asphalt driveway, don't forget the rubber tire chain option.

Never tried it...yet, but with weights, should work just fine.

Tankman

Many years since I've owned ag tires.

Turf's 'n chains is the usual. I add the weights (wheel) if the goin' gets tough.

I like the way the turf tires press the chains down evenly in snow 'n ice.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

post-8021-0-29249900-1407977479.jpg

Edited by Tankman

Foozerush

From a few years ago......

Without chains and yes the rear tires are spinning.....ezahe3en.jpg

With chains....gu7unu5a.jpg

If I remember right, 5" of fluff stopped me in my tracks.... ( first winter with a plow to play with). Out of all the threads I read that the majority like turf with chains best. Been wanting to get a pair of ags, and a tiller, next on the wish list for the 416-8.

Edited by Foozerush