Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Need help with a rectifier

kpinnc

Trying to figure out how this works. This rectifier was originally on the twin Briggs I've re-powered the 520-H with. It is an Onan rectifier, nearly identical to the one on the P220.

For whatever reason, I'm getting no DC volts from this or the other rectifier from the P220. Both rectifiers are labeled exactly the same, with 2 tabs marked "AC" and one labeled "B+".

There are two wires coming off the stator on the Briggs, and I'm reading 20 volts AC from the stator, and that's exactly what I should be getting. Trouble is, I see only about 2 volts DC on the "B+" tab on both rectifiers. My understanding was that I should get about 14 volts DC...

What am I missing here? I'm connecting both AC wires from the stator to the tabs labeled AC, and I've tried both rectifiers with them grounded properly.

Here's a pic of one of them:

muledrive023.jpg

Here's how they're labeled, and the two tabs on the far right are joined together:

muledrive021.jpg

Can anyone tell me if I'm hooking this up wrong or what? The 514 isn't as much fun when I have to recharge the battery after each use.

Thanks!

Kevin

Curmudgeon

The wiring diagram in the Electrical Demystification Guide (page 7-107) does not have the two posts joined. That didn't sound right to me anyway. How can the AC and DC circuits share a post? The diagram shows the wires coming from the stator to the two AC posts, and a lone wire running from B+ through a fuse to the battery.

kpinnc

How can the AC and DC circuits share a post?

Dunno Dale, I've been scratching my head on that one too. both of the rectifiers I have (Both Onans) are the same way. B+ is connected to an A/C...

Go figure...

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

If B+ is not connected to the battery it may not work properly. On the older Kohlers this will cause the regulator to heat up and eventually fail. Onan may have put in protection against this that is causing the problem.

I agree that the B+ should not be jumpered - I would remove the jumper and connect the B+ to the battery and see what happens.

best of luck :banghead: