pasch69

Newbie with a 607

Geno

Nothing better than dad's old Horse!   :icecream:     :text-welcomewave:   Like mentioned I would leave that one alone.  You guys know what's comming.  He can always restore the next one...  :text-lol:

pasch69

Thanks all ! Very nice group- glad I found this site!

pasch69

Ok we spent the last day checking her over and waxing her up, I could not take it any longer so I took her for an evening cruise:

post-13613-0-14483400-1406685910_thumb.j

post-13613-0-13822900-1406685944_thumb.j

post-13613-0-93797800-1406685956_thumb.j

post-13613-0-72588700-1406685982_thumb.j

• Like 2

JC 1965

Great story and great lookin tractor.   :thumbs2: Thanks for sharing.

pasch69

Last night I installed the mowing deck and mowed about 3/4 acre...it was a blast! I love the rear discharge and I cant beleive how well it is geared. I was a bit abrupt coming out of the ditch and next thing you know i was up on two wheels! I loved it but I have to be nicer to the ol gal!  I wanted to mow with it for old times sake but now I will take the deck off and be kind to her!

I also found a restored A800 for a pretty good price, I may buy this one to mow with... does anyone know anything about the A800 Ranger? Thanks!

pasch69

Possible new tractor ? hmmmmm

post-13613-0-37811800-1406908628.jpg

stevasaurus

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/3492-tractor-1974-a-800-ranger-details-attachmentspdf/

Looks like a nice restore.  Not to talk you out of it, but the A-800 is more of a riding lawn mower (vertical shaft engine) then the horizontal shaft "garden tractors".  If that is what you are looking for...excellent.  :) It is still a Wheel Horse and made well.  I think it was made to satisfy a notch for consumers that were not worried about plowing gardens, etc.  It also satisfied a demand for a less expensive riding mower...notice I did not say cheaper.  It looks like, from the link above, that you could mount a snow blade on it...and it also has a back hitch that would pull a trailer, roller, sweeper.  Finding parts may be an issue, as you do not see many of them around...but this one looks like that is not an issue.  :)

pasch69

Good advice...Thanks!  Looking for something to mow about 3/4 acre that does have a few hills and some rough spots. I currently use an entry level 140 JD and it does fine but my shed is only so big so out with the green and in with the red! :)  They are asking $450 for the restored A-800 but i havent physically inspected it or heard it run yet.

stevasaurus

I would definitely ask to see the pictures of it before it was "restored".  That would tell you if it might be worth $450...seems a little high, but not terrible.  It is a Tecumseh with a Peerless  transmission...most of the members would shy away from that...but not all.  If this guy restored it, he is trying to get some of that money back.  It could be a great horse for you...I would want to see what it looked like before the restore.  BTW...Tecumseh got bought out by the Chinese a few years ago...new parts for that engine could be expensive.  There are a couple of guys in Aurora that are into Wheel Horse, but are not on this site...just wondering if these guys are selling that horse (Mike & Roger).  If so, I have met them a couple of times at shows...they seem like good guys.  :)

Mike & Roger on the left...

2013_0519e0003_zps836bf936.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus

pasch69

It is over by Rockford (Loves Park). Yea, great idea about the pictures for sure. My dad gave me 3 totes of new (old stock) Tecumseh parts that he was given when the Wheel Horse dealership shut down in the 70's...i will have to do an inventory to see what parts are there. Being a newbie I'm a uneducated on Wheel Horse values so thanks for the advice! I guess I better do my homework before I plunge into a new toy. What would you say that my 607 was worth? Trust me I have  NO plans to sell it, my dad loves this machine and i was very honored to get it and it WILL get passed on to my son. I am just purely curious.

stevasaurus

Your 607 is well worth that $450 range...with those attachments.  Those wheel covers are worth a good buck on their own.  I'll bet SmokinJoe knows the guy in Love's Park.  :)

RMCIII

Hello from Northern Illinois!  My father gave me his pride and joy this week, I loved driving this tractor in the 70's and 80's when I was a young kid. My father tells me when he purchased the tractor in 1968 that they installed an electric starter kit complete with cigarette lighter, they replaced the rear bushings with bearings , installed lights at the dealership but were not made by Wheel Horse. He also purchased the chrome wheel covers, dozer blade, mowing deck and snow blade. He also mentioned at the time of his purchase that they gave you a Wheel Horse push mower but it did not stand up to the test of time. When the dealership shut down my father was able to get his hands on several spare parts for this tractor. I was digging through all the paperwork and found several manuals for this tractor as well as many other models. I would love to hear more info and facts on this tractor! In the coming year I think we will be doing a complete restoration, so any ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

You'll have to ask dad if he needs his lawn mowed from now on!.... Welcome "NEIGHBOR"!. Yep, even though I live in Cleveland, I still have family back in Oregon Il. I would bet if we started naming names we would come across someone that you know, that may very well be a cousin of mine in that area. Anyway, welcome once again, and :woohoo:

Edited by RMCIII

pasch69

We used to have our annual family picnic in Oregon, up by the big Black Hawk statue. Dad bought himself a big ol Simplicity ,he was having troubles getting on/off the little ol 607. You can bet that that ol sarge will over to check on his baby and to make sure she is taken care of! lol

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I keep checking back for pictures.

You wrecked me. In a good way. Lol

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

pasch69

Sorting through the boxes today to see what all came with it, looks like a 5 gallon bucket of used parts for the rear end was also provided.

post-13613-0-82091900-1407000300_thumb.j

post-13613-0-53462300-1407000314_thumb.j

post-13613-0-90656300-1407000330_thumb.j

• Like 2

RMCIII

We used to have our annual family picnic in Oregon, up by the big Black Hawk statue. Dad bought himself a big ol Simplicity ,he was having troubles getting on/off the little ol 607. You can bet that that ol sarge will over to check on his baby and to make sure she is taken care of! lol

They are finally giving Blackhawk a face lift. I hope they are able to open the stairs back up again. Really was great when you could climb up, inside the statue, and look out his eyes.

Rob

zanepetty

Awesome "new toy"!! Looks awesome. I like the lights. And thanks for your service.