fredwook

Raider brake/idler pulley problem

fredwook

Restoring a Raider 12. In the assembly phase. I had to cut the rod that connects the brake/clutch

attaching point to the idler pulley next to the transaxle drive pulley during disassembly a while back

in order to get it apart. I re-manufactured a rod that connects the two and welded one side and

pinned the other just like it was before. When I did this, I made both sides parallel to each other.

I am now wondering if one side was supposed to be offset because it looks like my idler does not

push against the belt correctly to tension it. Could someone advise whether both sides are at

equal angles to each other or is one offset. I hope this makes sense.

post-12994-0-33665700-1405984751_thumb.j

tbarnhart

From working on my c-160, I think they are different. The clutch idler side should be rotated toward the front but its hard to say how much. I had to build me a new rod as well because mine had worn badly where it passed through the frame bushings.

daveoman1966

Does this answer your Q:

fredwook

Dave, I re-built that rod in the middle but did not pay attention to the allignment. I put them both

in line with each other but it looks like the geometry is off when I depress or let off the clutch

brake petal. The idler doesn't look to be in the right spot in relation to the belt or brake side.

If you put the brake side from your picture on the rod and line up the pin hole, can you tell me

how the two sides are in relation to each other? The post before yours says the idler is forward

of the brake side.

thanks,

fred

fredwook

Ok, I think I have it figured out. I took the brake side off, tensioned the belt on the other side

and noted the offset where to drill the pin hole.

thanks for the help,

fred

Zeek

Not sure if this what you mean, but in the shot below (Raider 12), the idler is almost straight up and the brake actuator is back at about the 2:30 position.  I gather that when you are pushing the brake pedal, the brake is activating but the idler isn't releasing enough??

DSC08174_zps45eda185.jpg

fredwook

Yep, I think I got it.

Thank again.

Fred

fredwook

Ok, just when I thought I had this wrapped up....I drilled a new pin hole for the brake side

and rotated it. It is CLOSE but the idler is not fully tensioned when the pedal is fully in the

rear position. I now have to make another rod due to too many pin holes drilled on the

brake side. Dave (or anyone) can you tell me the offset if you line up the brake side with

the pin hole from your picture above?

Many thanks,

Fred