glgrumpy

Kohler carb changes?

glgrumpy

Have a 14hp out of GT14.  Had a KT17 that blew up.  Carb is missing from 14 so gonna try to use the carb off the KT17.  First thing, no number inside the carb throat to see what size it was. I'm thinking the 14 should be a #30, but not sure. I have some #26 carbs which I am using parts from. Holding them up to each other, they look pretty much same.  I'm wanting to take the throttle shaft from parts 26 and put it in the 17's carb to get the ball for the gov hook up. the 17 has a low bellcrank and just a hole for wire. I have removed the 14 shaft, no problems. The 26 carb had a screw broke off in the shaft. Had to grind it down some to get out of carb. Seems to fit in the 17's carb and plate bolts up same. NOW, need to figure out how to drill or remove the brass bolt in the shaft. I have a #55 drill, but won't fit my dremel unless I get the collet to fit it, pretty tiny. Big issue is how to center punch the tiny screw. I'm thinking maybe I need some sort of dremel tiny bevel stone or grind bit??  Never tried to work on something this small before. Guess I could get a throttle lever kit if I had too, but they are expensive for what you get and not always the correct bellcrank. I did that once for a choke and still was supposed to grind off my bellcrank and peen it on new shaft. NOT! Plus shaft was a mile long on that app.  So, is there any tricks to do this? OR, should I just be looking for another parts carb and hope I can get shaft out w/out breaking screws?

tbarnhart

As far as sizing the kohler carbs, from what I know the number (26, 28, 30, etc.) is the diameter of the venturi (not the throttle bore) in 32nds of an inch. A 26 will work on a 14hp but most of them came with the 30. Unless you had a dyno, you'd probably never know the difference.

glgrumpy

Carb is all back on and runs like a top, far as I can see. Took for a little ride, kinda cobbled up to do so, but works fine. Starts instantly and idles nice. I see no straining when reving or weakness, so think is fine. The carb I used is off the KT17 twin that was in the tractor, so would think it is big enough for a single 14, but still seemed the 26 size parts were fitting. Had to change both throttle and choke shafts to get stuff to hook-up right. I'm now working on the cables. Have longer choke one in, but need to build the longer throttle. I would like to see how the throttle was hooked up on a GT14, think there is a link missing and mount for cable on this engine from that tractor. I see the cable clamp on the small lever with spring to Gov then. Just doesn't seem to take much movement to get the revs up fast. I also don't see the place where cable housing was fixed or mounted then. Might be on blower housing?  Anyone have a manual with pix of engine or hook-ups for that tractor? OR a picture?