bunson70

Wheel Horse 607 3 speed will not stay in third gear

stevasaurus

Sir...all and any criticism on my part is never meant to be serious.  :)   I would never do that on site...I would send you a PM and keep it between us.  I just have never seen anyone take it apart like that.

Two things...1. a bunch of us are going to a garden tractor show in Portage, Wis.   July 10-12...there is a link in Red Square Herd...Why don't you join us?  :eusa-think:   2.  Take a look at the videos in that thread...it will help a lot when you go to put it back together.  You do not need a vise.  Use a rear tire and a couple of 2 x 4s to support the shallow side of the case on a work bench.  If the shift fork shafts came out of the casting, you may have a couple of detente balls rolling around in the case, or on the floor.  Try to find those and the spring and also the stop that goes in the spring.

Yes the # 3523 pictured from RacinBob is the same gear you have that is bad.  Are you looking to get that gear from Bob?  I think you may want to make a parts list at this point.  Mike (Racinfool40) in Ohio may have any of the other gears you might want to change out.  Seals and bearings (except for the #1533 bearing) are available from Motion Industries, NAPA, and maybe TORO.  The gasket is available from TORO for about $6.

In your 1st post, you said the Commando trans is pretty much identical to your 607 trans.  You are correct.  The major difference is the brake drum comes out a different hole in the casting.  In your commando, the brake drum is on an extension of your cluster gear shaft.  In your 607, the brake drum is on an extension of your 11/44 toothed gear (mushroom gear).  The other difference is the length of the axles.  Most of the inside gears are the same.  :eusa-think:

I hope you did not take it that I thought you were shifting without stopping...that is not what I said, but that is what did that to those gears.  Yes, we have all the numbers of parts, bearings, seals, etc.  To post videos on here...2 ways...if you have Photobucket, you can upload it to there and then use the IMG code to copy and paste a link in your post.  10 minutes max limit on the video.  The other way...upload to U-Tube and copy and paste the link in your post...no limit on length that I know of.  :)

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

YouTube is the way to go, then when you put the link here it will give us a preview that we can play the video right in the thread.

Steve's the man, sounds like you are all covered! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Brandon, some day we will have to meet.  I think we would enjoy a lengthy conversation.  :)  Seriously.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Brandon, some day we will have to meet.  I think we would enjoy a lengthy conversation.  :)  Seriously.

Indeed! You aren't going to Portland, are you? That's probably quite the trek. I don't get out much since the kiddos are so young. :hide:  

:offtopic::text-imsorry: 

stevasaurus

When you get to Portland...be sure to look up IndyWH.  He is one of the best...and tell him I said HI.  :)

post-818-0-44695000-1430947142_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

bunson70

Hey guys, I just read some of the older posts. I am in Wausau, WI. Sorry for the late reply. Bill's Service center in Stratford, is a Toro dealer. http://www.billsservicecenter.com/  I picked up a set of blades for the mower from them. If I have the part numbers, they can let me know if the parts are still available. I left work after a couple of hours today. I have the nasty cold/flu that is going around. So, I won't be doing anything with the tranny today. Experience has taught me to not work on anything while sick. Things just don't go as well.  I do have the weekend off, and I plan on getting some more done with the tractor. Maybe some painting too!

• Like 1

bunson70

No offense taken. I have been in a fog with this head cold thing I have. I totally respect your answers and your help. I would rather support the people on here when buying parts. You guys have the experience, and I am learnig as I go. I have to work the weekend of the show. Bummer. I am heading home, and going to get some rest. Talk to you all soon!

stevasaurus

New gears,from a dealer, are going to be expensive.  That cluster gear is probably around $280 new.  A used one is probably around $25.  When you feel better, take some pictures of all the gears and let's see what we can do.  :)

bunson70

Hello everyone. It's been a looooong time since I've been on here. Not much going on here. I've been doing some repairs to the commando 8's snow blower. Just minor stuff.  My 607's transmission is still in pieces. I would like to get it back together. I was just looking at my post from May 6 2015. There were a couple of names mentioned about getting parts from. I do need the second/high gear (If I remember correctly) and the seals and bearings for the axle shaft output for that transmission. How do I get these numbers, so I can go to Motion Industries? Or, if there is someone here with the parts, that is an option as well.  

• Like 2

pfrederi

Vendor section  Wheelhorseman1000 new 2/3 gears.  look at the pinned topic on bearing and gears for cross reference to part numbers.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You are in luck Bunson, and welcome back.  Paul is right.  Send Lowell @wheelhorseman1000 a PM.  He is just now selling the bearing, seals kit for the 2 piece transmissions.  He also has brand new # 2nd/3rd gears.  He is in Minnesota.  I have a parts transmission if you need any other gears.  Put pictures up of your gears that you think are bad.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

Here is link - I am the same price as motion on bearings and seals - am actually a little cheaper do to my shipping is less and  the 1533s are reduced in price in the kit if you should need them.

http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/product-p/0002.htm

and gear ---

http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/product-p/2.htm

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 2