Sign in to follow this  
WheelHorse_of_course

Wheel Color

WheelHorse_of_course

The old Suburban I used as a youth definitely had off-white colored wheels.

My 1975 C-120 I recall had white wheel (not 100% sure). My 1969 Charger has white wheels, but they have obviously been repainted at some point.

Questions:

1) When did they change from off-white to white?

2) What color is the best approximation of this off-white. The trim on my house is Benjamin Moore "Sailcloth" and is very close to what I remember. I am tempted to just use that, though of course latex house paint won't be particularly durable. Moore may have this in an oil enamel too, I have not checked.

Thanks

TT

Near as I can tell, 1965 was the first year for a "whiter" paint on the rims. I don't like the "blind you in the sun white" on any of these tractors and try to mellow it by mixing up a special off-white for the newer tractors.

The Workhorse GT models are the only ones that should have BRIGHT :D white rims. (In my opinion)

The Wheel Horse name for the old OEM paint is "linen beige" and can be duplicated in several ways. I actually buy 3 pint cans of "XO-Rust" enamel from the local Ace Hardware store. One is Gloss White and the other 2 is Gloss Almond. In a clean mixing cup (peanut butter jar, butter tub, etc. :( ) mix all of the ONE PINT of gloss almond with small amounts of the gloss white until the desired shade is reached. (It doesn't take much gloss white!) You can brush it on (I use those tapered foam brushes) or thin it and spray it with a paint gun. Repeat with the other pint of gloss almond when you run out. (you'll probably still have some gloss white left over)

If I am doing a C series tractor, I reverse the mixing procedure and tone the gloss white down with some of the gloss almond. I think it looks better, but that's just my opinion again. :P

Krylon also has gloss enamel spray paint in the Almond color and unless your tractor is parked next to an original, it is hard to tell it's not correct. (it is darker than the linen beige though)

kj4kicks

Great idea, Terry. I have to agree with you. My 1077 still has original paint, even on the wheels. It is more of the cream color, leaning towards white.

snow-05.JPG

The C-160 definitely has whiter wheels.

I'll try to get some better pics of the colors.

Eldon.

kj4kicks

OK guys, I need to update my last post. The C-160 DID have whiter wheels, but I found out that's because the PO painted them. While stripping them down and bead blasting them (also on the inside of the wheels), was the beige color. Same on both the 75 and 76 models. That color just happened to match the new grease caps that I bought. So I carried one of the caps into the local Advance Auto store, and found something. In fact, I found something that I think is a perfect match to the original.

It is Dupli-Color Truck, Van, & SUV paint, # T205 Wimbledon White. Here is a pic of the wheels with caps:

P2215356.JPG

I honestly can't believe how good it looks on the tractor! Well, at least the front 2/3's of the '75 tractor:

P2215357.JPG

TT

PERFECT match, Eldon! :thumbs:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a 60's Ford color, isn't it? :thumbs: :D

kj4kicks

You know, TT, I think you're right. I KNEW it looked familiar! They don't have it labeled as such, though.

Oh well, as long as it works! And, it's acrylic lacquer, so I was able to mount the tires up the day after painting.

kpinnc

Eldon, that tractor looks GOOD!!!!

Great job on the wheels too!

Did I mention that tractor looks awesome! :thumbs:

Kevin

TT

Eldon, that tractor looks GOOD!!!!

Great job on the wheels too!

Did I mention that tractor looks awesome! :thumbs:

Kevin

Kevin.....

You forgot :thumbs:

kpinnc

No doubt Terry, I most certainly did!

I gotta get with Eldon on his painting. The stuff looks like glass!

Kevin

TT

You know, TT, I think you're right. I KNEW it looked familiar! They don't have it labeled as such, though.

Oh well, as long as it works! And, it's acrylic lacquer, so I was able to mount the tires up the day after painting.

I don't want this to go too far :thumbs: , but 427 cubic inches of FE big block in a Wimbledon White '63 Galaxie lightweight ought to really refresh your memory.

1963_Ford_Galaxie.jpg

I WISH it was mine. :thumbs:

kj4kicks

Eh-oh.... I think I just wet myself.... Better go get cleaned up, and put this back on track....

Thanks for the memories !

CasualObserver

I think if your looking for a quick answer and easy to find paint, you can use :thumbs: IH 901. It's the same color they used on the cub original's wheels. They're a nice mild off-white. Just a thought. Also available as PPG 8665, NAPA Crossfire 53A-3965 or Martin Senour NAPA 99L-3965. That's what I'm planning on using when it quits snowing.gif , warms up, and I get to painting.

glenn27

glenn27

In a spray can--for the wheels--Krylon brand #7794 (antique white) is very close and available most anywhere....( for those of us that don't have access to a paint set-up....}

combatmp29r

Glenn I use Krylon Almond Gloss myself. I like the look of it better than the antique white, but thats just personal prference. Only about 2 shades difference :thumbs:

stringpincher

Hi all! I'm new here. I just sandblasted and repainted my front wheels with Tremclad recreational white, and it looks to me real close to the picture Kj4kicks posted. heres a link to the paint chips.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_p...ct_id=541&SBL=5

Its for a 1969 charger 10, compleate restore.

What do you think? to creamy?

joebob

linen beige