W/H JUNKY

changing the rear oil in automatic trans

W/H JUNKY

Is there any tricks to changing the oil and filter on a c-160 and a c-145. Hydro trans I have never done one but would like to. I just don't know what the guy before me has done this way I will know it has been taken care of.

can whlvr

no real tricks,i recommend a real good power wash before,so as not to get any dirt in the fresh oil

boovuc

First off, clean everything on top of the transmission case and everything around the drain plug. (Depending on the rear fender and how high it sits in conjunction to the dipstik, I would take the seat and rear fender off).

Next, when you get the drain plug pulled and it's draining, see what the previous owner used in the transmission. Some people used ATF in older tractors, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), most used motor oil. Whatever you drain, replace with the same unless you want to give it a few rinses with whatever you prefer to use. (Fill, run it a while then drain again but only if your changing the fluid from ATF to Motor Oil or from Motor Oil to ATF). Motor Oil is the preferred fluid for your transmission.

Once you have drained the fluid, pour it from the container you drained it into in a measured container so you know just how much you actually drained. If the level was full before you started, this will tell you exactly how much you need to add.

Next, it is difficult to get the oil in the transmission case once it is drained. What I do is take a straw and place a big wad of duct tape around the top leaving about an inch of straw above the tape. I place that in the filler hole, (dipstick), then place a funnel beside it. This way, you can pour your new oil in and the straw allows the case to breath so it doesn't bubble back up while your adding. You can also place the straw right in the funnel as long as you have a way to secure the straw from falling into the transmission case.

Once filled, check your levels and drive. After it is hot, check the level again to make sure your not overfilled. The biggest thing is to NOT let any dirt into the hydro system during the fluid change!

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Don't forget the new filter......

Install a new OEM oil filter from Toro / Wheelhorse.  The filter # is 79-5270 at dealers for under $16.  Other filters for 4 or 5 bucks will spin on, but you WILL SOON REGRET IT. 

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

boovuc

Good catch Dave! (Forgot the filter)! The NAPA filter FOR HYDROS and not motors are good as well but the OEM Toro filter is the way to go!

doc724

As Boovuc said, filling is really difficult as the air has to escape via the fill tube.  Has anyone tried warming the oil first?  The last (and only) time I drained and refilled mine it was in the month of November.  The oil was pretty cold, 40-50 degrees.  Without exaggeration, it took at least 1 1/2 hours to get 4 quarts into the tranny, and yes, there was a fair amount of "spillage"

leeave96

If the hydro is an Eaton 1100, just loosen the tranny filter and the oil will pretty much pour into the tranny.

• Like 1