boovuc

Smoked my Drive Belt

boovuc

I smoked my drive belt on my 1992 416-8 this afternoon. Had it hooked to my landscape trailer and were moving 7 big chunks of an old Jack Pine that fell in the neighbor's yard. ( About 36 inches in diameter each). I picked up one piece with the FEL and barely made it out to her back yard with it balancing on the bucket. It was too heavy so the remaining pieces were moved in one trip with the trailer! Big Mistake! I backed the trailer up to the woods in her back yard and we started rolling them off when one of the guys said your tractor is smoking. And It Was Turned Off!

Going to order an OEM to replace this NAPA Green Kevlar belt! I have two numbers and not sure which is correct! I have WH# 108501 at 81.5" and I have WH #7473 at 81.95". Both are Section HB/5L.

Which is correct? (Probably could get away with both). The NAPA belt was approximately 82" and maybe 5/8" width. It was a little hard to measure it!  :)

post-940-0-86816300-1402278430_thumb.jpg

Edited by boovuc

Martin

416 Onan with an 8 speed should use a 107939 which has been replaced by a 93-9809. the belt length should be 83.5"

Martin

you need to use an 83.5" to get the right amount of spread with the idler pulley and to also allow enough slack when the clutch is in to avoid grinding the gears....

i also noticed you have a gas spring on the idler, tension good? or do you run a spring on the left side of the trans as well?

normally when a belt leaves the idler pulley like yours has the tension will pull the idler back enough to not be in view because of the foot rest. unless you have removed the tension already, that is......

Edited by Martin

WH nut

We have all over worked our horses at one time or another

boovuc

Thanks Martin but I wondered about the 82 inch belt that was on it and those other numbers come up on the PartsTree and Toro site as belts for the 416 that are closer to 82 inches. I also saw that 93-9809 listed at 83.5".

If you look at the picture, the idler was replaced at one time with a Stens pulley. (Notice the white pulley). I wonder if it is the stock diameter or a little smaller. The 82" NAPA belt worked fine for many years. What do you think? 

Martin

heres a couple pics of mine, not the best pics but thats all i have, would have been better to see the footrest on there to compare position.

standard replacement HD napa idler, same size as the oem that was on it, 93-9809 belt. notice the position of the idler when clutch is out.....

post-4321-0-54678500-1402280510_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-88984600-1402280519_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

boovuc

Thanks, Martin. I'll go with the 93-9809.

Gee. Yours looks a little cleaner than mine!  :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

jeff lary

wow that is a clean looking tractor there man !!