Bert

latest project

Bert

post-12350-0-11514000-1401642094_thumb.jHello folks, the 518 that i was going to convert into an 8speed didn't ever work out. What happened instead was i found a 520 hc close to home with rusted paint, grenaded engine and bad frame (from engine plate not tight). I swapped the hc running gear, hydraulics and all the other bits n peices  onto a 414 8 frame then finished it off with the onan and 518 sheet metal

I like it! 

• Like 8

Wheel-N-It

Good work on that conversion. I like the 60" mowing deck you installed on it too.

Bert

Thanks for all the likes I've gotten on this one.

Wheel-N-It I like the behemith deck to, surprisingly the missing two hp hasn't been that noticeable.

546cowboy

Well you know I've been mystified as to where that 2 H.P. comes from. The bore and stroke is the same on both the P-218 and P-220. Maybe some expert will chime in here. The only thing I could see doing that would be the cam. I don't believe the carbs or valves are different.

MalMac

I know sometimes the way head's are configured affect compression, can change HP.

AMC RULES

Yep, I like it too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

ericj

the 18 hp uses the 16 hp cam and carb and the bottom end of the 20

eric j

Bert

So if i put the carb off the dead 20 house on the 18 would i get more power? Or would it run rich with the smaller cam?

ericj

i've never tried it so it might just over carberate the motor and not run good at all or it just may run good if you try it give me some feed back and let me know how it does for you

eric j

Tankman

Great work! Inspiring.

The 60" SD deck looks great!

Horse power ratings are.........well, I just don't know...........lots of nothin' in my thinking. The old 12 hp Kohlers in my herd perform like new. How's that?

Neighbor laughs at me. His BIG BOX Deere, vertical shaft 22 HP "riding mower." He thinks he's one up on me if he sees my '85 416-8, "You only have sixteen horse power, mine is twenty-two."

I like the sound of my lowly, shorted horse power, out-of-date, '90 520-8. 

Neighbor doesn't plow snow during the winter, guess he's rewarding resting the Deere things.  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

Ken B

Great work! Inspiring.

The 60" SD deck looks great!

Horse power ratings are.........well, I just don't know...........lots of nothin' in my thinking. The old 12 hp Kohlers in my herd perform like new. How's that?

Neighbor laughs at me. His BIG BOX Deere, vertical shaft 22 HP "riding mower." He thinks he's one up on me if he sees my '85 416-8, "You only have sixteen horse power, mine is twenty-two."

I like the sound of my lowly, shorted horse power, out-of-date, '90 520-8. 

Neighbor doesn't plow snow during the winter, guess he's rewarding resting the Deere things.  :laughing-rofl:

Tell your neighbor there is only one way too settle it... Put a chain between the two of em and he'll see what happens...

Tankman

Unfair! Cruel! His Deere would scream, cry, literally "fall to pieces."

I can recall plowin' snow or earth with my little 8 hp Stallion! Neighbors would look, well, amazingly.

I got a kick out of neighbors shoveling snow while my little Horse plowed the snow. The Horse wanted more!