leeave96

Gear Drive Shifter Spiral Pin P/N ???

leeave96

The high range shifter on my 314-8 is loose and it looks like the roll pin that holds the rounded collar (that the dog point set screw screw into) has sheared. Looked up on the parts list and Toro only shows the shifter as an assy vs parts breakdown.

Anyone know what the part number for that spiral roll pin?

Tractor is a 1997 year 314-8.

Thanks!

Bill

Martin

this is for 1991 300,400 series, I'm fairly sure the trans is the same though......

the 1991 ipl has the sizes of most of the fasteners.....

933184  spirol pin 3/16 x 3/4

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

can whlvr

if its the set screw and nut they are shown,set screw is 1239 and nut is 3217-5

leeave96

Thanks everyone!

I'll get a new spiral pin on order ASAP!!!!!

leeave96

Update: ordered the spiral pin and finally received them (need more than one because I foresee one dropping on the floor into an unaccessable crack - LOL).

However.....

Went to install the pin and can't get it started into the hole at all. Cinched it up in a vice, no go.

Any tricks to installing this spiral pin?

Not sure why Wheelhorse used a spiral pin vs a slotted spring pin to locate and then weld the spherical piece to the shifter. Anyone welded up one of these shifter assemblies?

Thanks!

Bill

Martin

I've never had a problem installing them. maybe you have a burr on either the pin or hole. you could chamfer the hole and pin end just a little (very little) just to help it start.

did you check to see they sent you the right size?

personally, if i can't get the original back in or its damaged in any way, i just use a slotted spring pin. there are spirol pins all over these tractors and they are a pain in the butt compared to just using a standard slotted spring pin. another trick on the big pins is to install a smaller one inside it if needed.

gwest_ca

Use a drill bit to check the hole size.

This parts list shows the 933168 roll pin for the shifter donut 5/32" x 13/16"
Replaced by 32121-114 spirol pin.

Drive it in from the rear of the shifter so the dog-point set screw can use the hole left at the front.

Garry

Martin

alright, i had to back up here and re read your post again.

I need to apologize, Bill.........

i was wrong and thought you meant the pin that holds the hi/lo range shifter to the hi/lo selector that sticks out the top of the trans. not sure why i missed that. You mentioned the hi range shifter and i assumed you were talking about the hi/lo range shifter. I'm sorry i lead you astray.

Just ignore me from now on, Garry knows what he is talking about..........

• Like 1

leeave96

Use a drill bit to check the hole size.

This parts list shows the 933168 roll pin for the shifter donut 5/32" x 13/16"

Replaced by 32121-114 spirol pin.

Drive it in from the rear of the shifter so the dog-point set screw can use the hole left at the front.

Garry

Garry - thanks for the info.  The pin diameter I have is close, but the more I pounded on it, the more I knew it was the wrong diameter.  Your post confirms it!

I looked at a bunch of parts lists for the tranny and the gear shifter with the donut is shown as an assy where the hi/lo is broken down into parts and shows the spiral pin.  I assumed it was the same for both.

alright, i had to back up here and re read your post again.

I need to apologize, Bill.........

i was wrong and thought you meant the pin that holds the hi/lo range shifter to the hi/lo selector that sticks out the top of the trans. not sure why i missed that. You mentioned the hi range shifter and i assumed you were talking about the hi/lo range shifter. I'm sorry i lead you astray.

Just ignore me from now on, Garry knows what he is talking about..........

Martin - my bad!!!!!!!!  I looked at my post again and you are right, I said hi range shifter instead of gear selection shifter.  Sometimes my brain sees clearly what I need to convey to others, but either my mouth or in this case, my fingers gave the incorrect info.  But - hey, I've got spare hi/low shifter pins.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Sometimes info like this is hard to find.

Once you do find it what do you do with it so it is easier next time?

In this case I added the word donut to the file descriptions in the Manuals. I searched the manuals and 5 files came up.

Otherwise I would still be looking for it because I remember seeing it before somewhere.

I often don't use enough good key words - depends how the brain cells are lined up at the time.

Garry 

• Like 1

leeave96

Sometimes info like this is hard to find.

Once you do find it what do you do with it so it is easier next time?

In this case I added the word donut to the file descriptions in the Manuals. I searched the manuals and 5 files came up.

Otherwise I would still be looking for it because I remember seeing it before somewhere.

I often don't use enough good key words - depends how the brain cells are lined up at the time.

Garry

The cool part of all of this is my boys were working with me and got to see the mechanics of this and though we've got parts that won't fit, it ain't time to set the tractor at the curb like so many folks do. Dig a little deeper and figure out (with a little Redsquare help) what's wrong and move on to the next project. All good!

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

leeave96

Update: got the correct spiral pin and fastened the donut ring to the shaft - piece of cake.

Went to secure the dog point set screw and managed to break it, with half of the threaded portion still in the tranny casing - #%+#!!!!

Good thing I got a fleet of tractors - LOL!

On another note, when the original spiral pin broke, the tractor was in 2nd gear. The only way I could get the shifter to line-up for the dog pointed set screw was to position the shifter in 3rd gear. However, the shifter will not move to another gear. I haven't forced anything and haven't started the tractor to spin the tranny, but my question is this - when you install the shift lever, will it fit only in one position? Or is it possible to install with the ball tip inside the tranny such that damage could occur once the engine is started and the clutch let out?

Thanks!

Bill

gwest_ca

I always shift the transmission into neutral with a long screw driver. The tabs on both shift rails need to be centered in the hole. Then put the shifter in.

Sounds like you may have the shifter outside the tabs.

Garry

leeave96

Update:  Ordered a couple of new dog point set screws today for the shifter.  Knock on wood they will come-in before the weekend!  Double knock on wood I won't foul these up!!  Triple knock on wood I can get the broken one out of the tranny!!!  Probably going to take the rear fender off for this round to get a little more elbow room... :)