rustykan

Engine Cylinder Painting

rustykan

I was planning on using Rustoleum Regal Red in spray cans for some of my restoration and have a friend use the same in quarts for the larger items. My question is what should I use for the cylinder in a high heat paint? Any suggestions?

daveoman1966

To paint the cooling fins of either the engine block or the cylinder head defeats the purpose of the fins and MAY be detrimental to the engine as a whole.  The purpose of the fins is to help cool the engine and a layer of paint would be, effectively, an insulating blanket. The same is true of the hydro pump in automatics.  IMHO, don't paint them.  

• Like 1

pacer

But WH - and many other mfgrs - painted the engines - every engine I have had had the head and block fins painted, looks like the entire assembled engine was painted.  Paint mine with the carb, fuel pump, flywheel,and pulley off and paint the rest of the engine taping off the carb and fuel pump openings, it'll burn off pretty quickly in the hotter areas. Oddly enough the head will retain the red color for a long time (except right at the exhaust) I do the tin and starter separately.

Wishin4a416

I painted my fins but sparingly. I use regular rustoleum that I used on other parts. I didn't paint the bottom of the fins as Dave mentioned for heat dissipation

. post-8484-0-10151000-1401580766.jpg

rmaynard

I don't think you will have any problem painting the fins. I use the same paint to paint the engine as I use to paint the tractor. The fins get painted as many coats as the engine. The biggest problem with cooling is not going to be paint, but dirt and debris that gets trapped in the fins due to lack of proper maintenance.

• Like 4