Theroundhousernr

Making Lines

Theroundhousernr

I guess I'm one of the anal ones that likes making lines in my lawn. My mower of choice is my 520H with 48 inch deck. No modifications to the deck or tractor. Allot of making lines is the mowing pattern and having the deck set up properly. One big secret is going back over every other line. Takes some time but that's fine with me. More seat time!

In the near future I hope to make a roller that mounts to the rear plow hitch with an old cut up short plow frame, with a line of wheel horse plastic deck wheels across the back. I think it will work very well. Not that it's needed but I want to see how distinguished I can make the lines. Maybe I can cut out the step of going over every other line. We will see...

So I'm interested to see who else likes making lines and pictures of your cut, groomed lawn. Don't laugh at my landscaping. I'm getting there... this house was a real project since buying last year. Again no tricks, just a 48 inch deck set at the second highest setting .

ymu5uzes.jpg

aragymat.jpg

e5aja2a9.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Digger 66

A piece of string ( like a chalk line ) strung between 2 stakes will give you picture perfect lines  :ychain:

• Like 1

KyBlue

I usually do the same thing, however the last two times I have mowed, I went the opposite direction, Side to side.

Will have to get some pictures - my stripes aren't near as defined as yours are, but i only mow it once. I think the RD deck that I use, makes a big difference.

However allow me to say, I love the looks of your lawn .. put's mine to shame! haha

Edited by 4StarCstms

Tankman

I like the ball park look, stripes.  I've seen 'em but don't remember where, brush that mounts to the rear of a mower deck to "sweep" the lawn directional lines.

Take a peek-a-boo here http://www.mowersdirect.com/lawn/toro-lawn-mower-striping-kits.html

and here too! http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=121-5706%2C+Striping+Kit%2C+Zero-Turn-Radius+Riding+Mower+with+50in+Cutting+Unit&dn=3372-972-419743-0001

A lot of videos on YouTube detailing homemade striping kits.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

can whlvr

I l ike lines too,I have been meaning to make a roller that I have from a large printing press,some machines have large flat rollers that I have seen,your tractor makes a nice job of the stripes,nicer than the 42 inch sides I use

• Like 1

dewdew

I have seen (stripe kits) at commercial mower shops made for zero turns. I love the stipe look also I don't even let my family walk on it for at least a day after I mow If I can help it. Now that's anal. Anyway I would like to see how you do it and how it works. Keep us posted. Good luck!

ol550

A piece of string ( like a chalk line ) strung between 2 stakes will give you picture perfect lines  :ychain:

Just run the front of the deck a 1/2 inch lower than the rear and you get lines too. :ychain:  :ychain:

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Tankman, the last video you posted, is something like I plan to build except using a cut up plow frame I inherited. I think it will work great and flip the release and its off for storage. I will defiantly post some pics of the build. The funniest part is my lawn is loaded full of random broad leaf weeds and it still stripes nice.

Take notice the last picture is from a few weeks ago and I didn't go over every other line. So you can see it does make a difference.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

AMC RULES

Humm...I do like that Checkmate universal striping roller kit.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

leeave96

I've got a Simplicity Landlord and it will stripe a yard. Grass needs to have some quality to it and mowing high is important (so the grass blade length is long enough to lay over). It is not something I shoot for very often. Since the full length roller is always in play on the Simplicity, you're always mashing the grass. The downside of this is if you mow (as in a rectangular yard) from the perimeter to the inside, you get a lawn with two stripes! Half the yard shaded one direction and the other half opposite direction - LOL!

I think you're onto something with a detachable striping kit of some sort.

Here is a previously posted pic from where I mowed my Church's lawn last Summer with the Simplicity.

post-6085-0-73058500-1401589581.jpg

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 2

Tankman

Theroundhousenr has the right idea, build one of course. Using a plow mount, they're already on most of our Horses, is a great idea!

I am kickin' myself! A week ago I trashed an older Bolens deck. The deck was a four footer and had full length roller assembly on it. 

Looked like 6" x 2" long rollers, a lot of them. Rollers on a shaft 'bout four foot wide.

The bolt on least expensive "sweeps" look like a squeege. Ummmmmmmmm! Giving me something to think about and sooner or later, play with. Why not stripe the lawn? I like the look too!

Edited by Tankman

Foozerush

Growing up, the MF7 we had has the roller on back of the deck that left excellent stripes. Find an old MF deck and rob the roller for a WH conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk