rustykan

Steering Wheel Restoration?

rustykan

Any secret tips for restoring the steering wheel on a C-120? Mine is in pretty good shape, but was wondering if there is any way to make it look better.

rmaynard

Soft wheel or hard plastic.

rustykan

I would say it is hard plastic.

post-12646-0-99611800-1400785162_thumb.j

post-12646-0-85256200-1400785225_thumb.j

bmsgaffer

That's actually the 'soft touch' wheel.

The hard plastic are shiny and thinner.

rustykan

Learned something new!

Uncle Buck

That use of a torch on the wheel did not impress me in the least! I would simply knock off any rough spots with wet or dry sandpaper, then prime it, then paint it myself! I would use satin black.

rmaynard

Yup, that's the soft wheel. Clean it with soap and water. Let it dry, then get a spray can of VHT vinyl dye, satin black, and give it a couple of coats. It will look like new. Gloss black works well on the hard plastic wheels after roughing it up with a 3M Scotch-brite (gray) pad.

• Like 1

slammer302

I'm going to buy some of this vinyl die today is the first I've heard about it

zipper

The VHT spray and the Elmers paint sticks works great. there is a detailed directions I found on this site someware

Zipper

jdleach

Yup, that's the soft wheel. Clean it with soap and water. Let it dry, then get a spray can of VHT vinyl dye, satin black, and give it a couple of coats. It will look like new. Gloss black works well on the hard plastic wheels after roughing it up with a 3M Scotch-brite (gray) pad.

Very true. On the hard wheels, they should last literally forever as long as you keep them out of the sun. To further protect a nice hard wheel, painting it is the best solution. While it may sound like a cheap, backyard hick remedy, one must remember that before steering wheels were made from plastic, they were hard rubber. To keep the rubber from blackening the paws of the driver, they were painted. I know, I have my Dad's 1949 Ford F-2 truck I am slowly restoring. The paint had worn off the wheel in places, and my hands would get as black as a coal miner's.

The cracked and broken plastic wheels we see so often is mostly from UV (sun) deterioration. The wheel on my 312-8 is almost 30 years old, and still looks nearly new. The reason is it has always been kept inside when not in use. As stated earlier, adding paint will only increase the wheel's life. A good grade of paint will wear quite slowly from handling. The '49 Ford wheel was painted over a year ago, and still looks fresh, and I drive the truck several days a week to work.

c-series don

Can someone please elaborate on restoring a hard plastic steering wheel? I'm afraid to paint it, I feel like it won't stick good and peal off. Even if I scotch bright it. I'm restoring a 1984 Work Horse GT-1800. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

JPWH

I painted a steering wheel after repairing damage from a dog chewing on it, that was 2 years ago and no peeling yet. I used rustoleum satin black.

• Like 1

Sarge

For most plastics, an adhesion promoter is required to get the paint to "bite" properly. Some paints have enough acids to get the job done without it, but using a paint dedicated for plastic work would be your best bet. I did the wheel of a '68 WH Charger with the VHT vinyl dye, allowed that to dry for a solid day and top coated it with Eastwood's Diamond Clear. Wheel looks new to this day, that restore was done over 5yrs ago and it's seen a lot of sunlight/hard use. The real trick is to take your time when sanding, don't get in a rush and get it very evenly built up as your hands can find even the slightest defect when repairing cracks or missing pieces.

Sarge

c-series don

Thank you Sarge, did you wetsand the wheel with 600 grit or something like that?

RandyLittrell

Use a grey scotchbrite pad and scuff it using soapy water, it scuffs easier and the soap cleans the oil and grime off which is the biggest reason paint does not stick. 

Randy

• Like 2

Sarge

All the leveling was done prior to using the VHT vinyl dye - once that coating was applied it was allowed to dry and then top-coated with Eastwood's Diamond clear, no sanding for fear of damage to the color layer. I was pretty impressed how well the two worked together. You never know how well one chemical will bite into another and at times they do not get along - those two act like they were made for each other. 

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

I've done a few. I repaired any major dings with JB Weld, painted the spokes with Krylon for plastic and coated the rim with Dupli-Color truck bed liner. It looks and feels great and is as durable as most anything. :)

5b0ecf1d7e8a8_500SpecialSteeringWheel0215173.JPG.ef446b907920c4cfa9229665a0b79c9e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Bob, that bedliner solution is good thinking (don't want to say brilliant in public) :D  Strong, wear resistant, and with the right looks and feel. Perfect! Do you mask it off like any other spray paint?

I'm so gonna steal that idea............

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

Racinbob

I paint the spokes (if needed) without masking and then mask off the spokes for the bedliner spray. :)

• Like 1