leeave96

BCS Tiller

leeave96

Pulled out my Dad's old BCS tiller over the weekend to finish plowing my garden. This tiller is a 735 model, is all gear drive. The handles can be rotated 180 degrees and a mower or snow thrower can be mounted.

My Dad made a lot of garden with this tractor over the years, he bought it when the only rear tine tiller most were buying was Troybilt. He bought it in 1985.

It has hi and low range, individual brakes on each wheel for traction and steering, as well as a differential lock. The tractor is Itialian made and has an Acme engine. As my Dad said to me when servicing this tiller prior to use, "The engine has never failed me." Really the tiller has never fail him - ever.

Thought you might enjoy some info on this tiller and some pics.

post-6085-0-56464900-1400602517.jpg

post-6085-0-06114700-1400602551.jpg

post-6085-0-15989300-1400602585.jpg

post-6085-0-89759900-1400602610_thumb.jp

post-6085-0-61774200-1400602638_thumb.jp

• Like 5

shallowwatersailor

Thanks for sharing!

jachady

I was just given one of these. Except mine has the 8hp diesel engine. The previous owner couldn't start it anymore, pull start only and 18-1 compression. After throwing out my back, I was finally able to get it running. These things are built incredibly.

Mines a 1977, I do have the cover but its broken.

ehu4u4ar.jpg

umeta6uj.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I was just given one of these. Except mine has the 8hp diesel engine. The previous owner couldn't start it anymore, pull start only and 18-1 compression. After throwing out my back, I was finally able to get it running. These things are built incredibly.

ehu4u4ar.jpg

umeta6uj.jpg

You might be able to use a socket and 1/2" drill on the nut to start it.

jachady

I thought about using a drill, but with the high compression I am afraid I'll rip the end of the crank off.  I've had it happen on a Techy once. 

CasualObserver

With the front pulley, it looks like you could use a fabricated start cart to get that going.  I've seen them done for Gravely walk behinds, but can't find a picture at the moment.  Basically it's a two wheel dolly with a car batter and a starter generator mounted on it, and typically a starter button on the handle, but I've also seen them with just some jumpers from the battery to the starter.  Roll it up to the machine, hook your belt, lean back to tension the belt to the starter pulley and hit the button for effortless starting.  Only real problem is now you have to take another thing with you!

• Like 1

can whlvr

id hook up one of the horses to the pto and start her that way

• Like 1

dbinver
On 6/9/2014 at 8:28 AM, jachady said:

ehu4u4ar.jpg

umeta6uj.jpg

jachady do you by chance have any information on this tiller? manuals or anything? I just picked up one that looks almost identical to the one you have here. Yours looks like its in a little better condition than mine. I have not been able to start it yet, but the guy I bought it from rigged up a electric motor that could run a pulley to turn the machine over. The shift levers are broken off of mine too. What does the lever on the left side of the machine do? Is it a high/low for the pto?

shallowwatersailor
44 minutes ago, dbinver said:

jachady do you by chance have any information on this tiller? manuals or anything? I just picked up one that looks almost identical to the one you have here. Yours looks like its in a little better condition than mine. I have not been able to start it yet, but the guy I bought it from rigged up a electric motor that could run a pulley to turn the machine over. The shift levers are broken off of mine too. What does the lever on the left side of the machine do? Is it a high/low for the pto?

BCS is very good with sharing the manuals. Here is their site for TSB and manuals. You can also check out Earth Tools in KY. They are a good dealer with plenty of information and YouTube videos as well.

http://www.bcsamerica.com/service-information/

http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/

Howie

I have a starter here I made from an old Ford V8 starter, don't remember if it was off the Y-block engine or the FE engine. Was one with the long shaft

that i reworked and put a pulley on. Battery on the cart push it up there belt on pulleys lean back and hit switch. It will turn an engine over faster than 

the starter-generator. Don't know how it would work with that compression tho.