nylyon

Inner tube or new tire?

nylyon

It's about time to replace the rear tires on my 416.  The original Dico Turf Trac R/S have slow leaks which are likely due to some dry-rot on the tires.  The tread is still somewhat decent, and I really like the tire itself.  If they still made R/S in 23x9.50-12 I would grab 2 new tires, but they don't.  

What would you do, throw a tube in there or get another type of tire?

AMC RULES

No Slime...tube 'em up.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

pacer

What Craig says... I dont even think about messin with a tire anymore, first hint of a leak I tube it! and you get the bonus of getting to use the tire for a much longer time.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Waaay...cheaper than new tires too.    :text-datsphatyo: 

can whlvr

I would tube them also,but ive had some that fell apart while breaking the bead,i also had a set on my 308 that the wire inside the tread was poking inside the tire so I coulnt tube it either,but ive got at least 3 tractors with tubes

Sparky

Yep...tube it Karl. Actually you might as well tube both rears while your at it and be worry-free for years.

Mike.......

Rock farmer

Me, I'd de-mount the tires and inspect them.

Then check the valve stem.

Then check the rim as far as rust dents or barbs on the bead area.

Or, where a tube might rub.

If all looked good. I'd wire brush them up good, paint them well and, put new valve stems in them.

Scrub the beads on tire tires well with a stiff bristled brush and re-assemble.

Inflate, spray some soap on the beads and look for bubbles.

If something does not look good, then I'd buy tubes and tube them!

But, I wouldn't spend money on tubes if I don't have too.

And You should do most of what I said anyway.

I have one of those HF tire changers. Makes the job pretty easy!

Joe

Tankman

Tube the tires. If really "gone", pick up some used ones; i.e.: Craigs List.

Wheel-N-It

Tube em' Karl. Anything less is just a waste of time.

Not trying to disrespect what Rock Farmer said. For me its just best to put a tube in and keep going.

nylyon

While there could be valve stem problems, the tires are showing some dry rot.  The rims should be fine as it's never been in a situation where they could get bent.  Tires have never been dismounted and started leaking just last year.  I'll be honest, if I could find new R/S tires, they would be on it.  I am partial to new tires but hate to lose the OEM look which I have grown to love over the past 20 years!

I'll have to stop at the tire store tomorrow to pick up some tubes and give that a shot.  I'll probably end up replacing the tires next year and would go with CS which is "almost" as good.

Shuboxlover

I have lots of tires with tubes in them...but, whenever I buy new tires, CARLISLE TURF MASTER is what I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

nylyon

They look nice too

cheesegrader

I went through this with Dico tires on my latest purchase.

What looked like just a little side wall dry rot when inflated turned into several 6-8" tears that became obvious when deflating.

Looks like they sat flat for a long time, and the sidewall rubber is coming off in sheets.

There is just enough tread left to consider tubes, but the sidewall damage is too far gone.

Carlisle Turfmasters are on the way!

Stigian

If the tread is good I would tube them Karl, a cheap way of getting a lot more use out of the tires.

Kelly

I have a number of this style tire, they ride great, a very smooth tire but are known for leaking, if you air them up a bit on the hard side and spray soapy water on the sidewalls you will most likely see tiny bubbles, tube them and be good for years, you will have a hours labor and about $30 in to it.

leeave96

I have used Slime with success - but it does have a shelf life and after some years of use, it doesn't seal as good or "cling" to the hole when the tractor is parked.  Getting ready to pull off a couple of tires with Slime in them to replace with tubes and see if any rust has formed on the rim due to the Slime - I hear it both ways, I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

I caught Harbor Freight with a sale on their small and large tire changers.  I think I got both for around $100.  While they are not perfect, I've changed about 4 tires total this years - putting tubes in them.  It's nice for a change to visit one of my tractors after it's been setting a week and find the tires don't need air.

So - I'd say try tubes and if that's to much of a hassle, give Slime a try.

Good luck!

Bill

Don1977

My vote is new 4 ply Carlisle Turf Masters, but I have just one Wheel Horse and it has to go when I need it.

bmsgaffer

I have used Slime with success - but it does have a shelf life and after some years of use, it doesn't seal as good or "cling" to the hole when the tractor is parked.  Getting ready to pull off a couple of tires with Slime in them to replace with tubes and see if any rust has formed on the rim due to the Slime - I hear it both ways, I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

I caught Harbor Freight with a sale on their small and large tire changers.  I think I got both for around $100.  While they are not perfect, I've changed about 4 tires total this years - putting tubes in them.  It's nice for a change to visit one of my tractors after it's been setting a week and find the tires don't need air.

So - I'd say try tubes and if that's to much of a hassle, give Slime a try.

Good luck!

Bill

Please be sure to let me/us know what you find. I have been using slime for a while when I absolutely have to, and have been hearing both sides as well. Its supposed to be non corrosive, so break it open and lets see!

shorts

I just tubed a tire that I slimed a couple of years ago, the Slime is a real PITA to clean up from inside of the tire prior to assembling with a new tube, also the slime acted as a paint remover and removed the paint from the inside of the rim, no rust or corrosion, just something else to clean up and repaint before the tube install.

You're going to end up either replacing the tire or installing a tube, just do it and save the cost and aggravation of cleaning up the slime mess

• Like 1

leeave96

You're going to end up either replacing the tire or installing a tube, just do it and save the cost and aggravation of cleaning up the slime mess

The problem I have found with tubes is that, in my neck of the woods, sometimes the tubes get a flat too and it is a pain to bust the bead and patch them.  Now that I've got the harbor freight tire changing tools, maybe not as much as a hassle, but at least with Slime, it works, you don't have to take the wheel off the tractor - but I'm anxious to see how tube hold for me going forward.

jdleach

I Slimed a tire on my truck here about a year ago, made a helluva mess when I had to replace all four tires. Didn't corrode anything, was just, well...., slimy.

I am into the new tire thing. I cannot stand dealing with leaks. I suppose it comes from the years when the kids were little, and I was broke all the time.

When I bought my 312-8 here a couple months ago, I noticed that the PO had replaced 3 of the 4 tires at some point. Only the right front appears to be original. The replacement tires are Carlisle, same as what came on the tractor new. Was kinda bummed, as I wanted to get fresh new tires. Now I gotta wear these out first.

I would go with new skins.

zbysiu23

If the tires are too old or tube is too much ado green slime .. guys use them on golf carts atv's and moving equipment..

nylyon

I had slimed a front tire years ago and when it came tome to replace them it was a complete mess inside so I vowed to never do that again.  Yesterday I went to my local TSC, and picked up a tube.  My son and I just finished installing in the left rear.  The tire itself has some dry rot, but isn't in bad shape at all so I think that the tube was the right way to go.

The condition of the rim is perfect.  No rust, the tires had never been removed so the beads were perfect, the insides are perfect.  We cleaned it up and looks like new.  Unfortunately my TSC had only ONE tube, so off to find another to do the right side as well. I really like these tires, and didn't want to part with them.  

So... the search continues for tube #2, would really like to finish this today so it can get a nice wash, wax and oil change.

zbysiu23

..yep the old slime was a mess.. the new green slime you just rinse with water wipe dry and you done.. not like the old sticky stuff..   water based never dries.. $9.00 bottle good for all 4 ..and it helps punctures on the go..  :-)