Tankman

520-8 Clutch Damper Kit

Tankman

Always thinkin', especially rain days, 'bout something nice for the Horses.

My '90 520-8 clutch pedal does bounce slightly, no noise and doesn't bother me too awfully much.

And then I saw it! The Clutch Damper Kit from Toro P/N 14-5159.

Anyone use one of these kits? Does anyone feel the kit is necessary?

Clutch_Damper_3314-711.pdf

Edited by Tankman

btrrg1969

throw away the damper and use a clutch return spring only, much more smooth, but you have to be more careful in letting out your clutch or you will pop a wheelie 

Tankman

That's what my feeling was, don't need it. Never had one but, saw one and wondered.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts btrrg1969.

Racinbob

NO!!!! One came on my 2005 and I hated it. It may not have been working properly but it caused a delay every time I released the clutch. It drove me nuts (more than I already am). I removed it. Just put a new drive belt on and your issue should go away. The current belt may look fine but it doesn't take much to cause the 'bounce'.

Racinbob

BTW, I believe you already have the spring. Mine came from the factory with the spring and damper. For a while they used a strut that used dampened force to engage the idler pulley. By design, mine used the spring for the engagement and the damper was just that. It has no 'spring' force. In addition to replacing the drive belt check your spring to make sure it's OK.