dells68

My son, Emory, working on his suburban

dells68

Hey guys!  It's been quite a while since I posted anything here, but I wanted to share a couple of pictures of my son, Emory, and his suburban.  He had been wanting me to get his 60 fixed so he could take it to a show for quite some time.  Sadly, my job and my sideline business had kept me from finding time to work on it for him.  After having sat all winter, we went to start it and the K91 wouldn't start.  Turns out it had lost spark.  With only two weeks to a big local tractor show, I decided to go to Harbor Freight and get one of the 6.5 horse predators.  Emory wasn't happy because he wanted the original engine.  I assured him we'd keep it and rebuild it (needed rings anyway) when we could.  He wanted me to paint the black parts red so no one would know we'd switched motors ;-) !  Anyway, he wanted to see some pics of him sanding and sitting on his finished tractor.  You can't call it a lawnmower - he insists it's a tractor.  He was even filmed by RFDtv in a couple of shots for an upcoming episode (no feature, but two good drivebys!  Hey - I'm a proud  papa!post-8142-0-54056600-1399769948.jpgpost-8142-0-72926900-1399769980.jpg

• Like 7

Jake Kuhn

Very nice! What did you use to paint it?

dells68

Hey Jake.  We used Rustoleum Regal Red.  It turned out pretty good for a spray bomb job.  I didn't have time to do anything else.  We got it finished at about 8:00am on the day of the show.  By the way, I'm needing to put a brake shaft seal on his 61 and it's different from the input shaft seal.  I'm thinking it's a roller bearing shaft?  Any idea what seal I'd need to get or where I can get one?

• Like 1

stevebo

Love it !!

dells68

Thanks Stevebo!  Emory has watched every video he can find of the Arendtsville show and is begging to get to come this year.  I've told him I'll have to wait to see - but he's going to be disappointed if we can't.  He told me yesterday that "Wheel Horses are the best tractors."  He's just an excellent 6 year old!

groundhog47

:text-welcomewave:  to :rs: , both ya'll. Very nice tractor for a young man.... and many old ones, like me also. :greetings-clappingorange: Good way to getem started  :handgestures-thumbup:

neil

Enjoy your  little Horse Emory :thumbs:  :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Great to see the youngens getting into the horses

formariz

Great post. Thank you for sharing it and for encouraging the little guy on what is sure to be a lifetime of enjoyment.

AMC RULES

You've got a very cool tractor Emory...    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

hope you guys can make it to the big :wh: show. 

Sparky

Looks fantastic! Your boy's idea of painting the motor red was a great one.

Mike............

(PS....as a father of a 19 year old boy I recommend you find a way to get to the show with your son. I started bringing mine when he was 8 or 9 years old and he went right up till he was 17...then along came a drivers license, a part time job and a girlfriend. Hasn't been since although I ask each year. Don't miss an opportunity to spend a weekend away with your son.)

• Like 1

JC 1965

Good lookin tractor, Nothing like starting them early. Your son looks he is having the time of his life.  :thumbs2:

dells68

Emory has had a blast with his tractor! We rode the heck out of it last year on my parents' farm with the k91 and rusty paint. Originally we wanted to get him a WH because I remember my grandfather having one of the first rjs sold in southwest va. Now that my grandfather is gone, it's really nice to see my son having a connection with the great grandfather he never got to meet. He really seems a lot like my grandfather in many ways!

Racinbob

The seal for the roller bearing is a 7410. You should be able to find them at NAPA. Great job on the tractor.

dells68

Thanks Racinbob!  Getting them at NAPA will be much easier!  I didn't know they were available through a local parts place.  Emory is really enjoying his tractor!

Olratlr

Good Job on the Suburban and giving  your Son the Wheel Horse Fever.