Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Brake Caliper Paint?

Brian1045

Auto zone told me today that brake caliper paint works as well for engines...as engine paint does. They said that the caliper paint is a little more glossy then engine paint. Both kinds of paint are good for up to 500 degrees.

Any thoughts on this?? :USA:

Also... Do most people paint the motor sheet metal shrouds with the same paint as the block and fins? I'm base and clear coating the whole tractor...except for the engine of course. I just don't want to see the paint on the motor to start burning or bubbling off. :banghead:

linen beige

A good number of collectors just use the same paint on the engine, block and all, as they use on the rest of the tractor. The block doesn't really get that hot except for around the exhaust port. Some cover the block with a couple coats of engine paint (Ford red. It's a little lighter than IH red.) then cover that with their body color.

If you're using a gun you may want to try engine paint from Bill Hirsch. He's been supplying the auto restoration hobby for decades and sells top notch products.

I don't know if he mixes custom color engine paint but may check on that when I restore a couple of mine.

oldandred

Ok now heres what I do

#1 prime engine real good

#2 spray engine with same paint as tractor or the color I want

#3 let dry over night

#4 start engine run for about thirty min,

#5 do the smae thing the next day

#6 one more time

Ive done this to all my engines and they hold there paint

but all mine are show tractors theres two or three that I do run

a lot and they have keep there color good

kpinnc

I usually paint the engine covers, and base of the block, with the same paint as the rest of the tractor. But, I use high temp black or silver on the cooling fins. The tins cover nearly all of the fins anyway, so it isn't really noticable. This way, regardless of the paint type, I'm in pretty good shape.

I start by painting the fins, all the way around with high temp paint. Then let it cure for a day or so. Then you can mask the cylinder off and paint the rest WH red. it looks like this without the tins:

IM000630-1.jpg

Again, with the tins on you only see a small amount of the fins, but it still looks nice.

Kevin

Brian1045

Thanks all,

I like the idea of the paint used on the tractor also working on the engine. I also like the black/silver high temp on the jug.

I'm going to talk to my paint guy tomorrow as well. I'm using "automotive" base and clear coat so that's why I was concerned on the temps.

BTW...awesome pic of your block kpinnc :banghead:

Duff

Hey guys....dumb, rookie question here but I guess you could call it part of learning, so please humor me! :imstupid:

Does the paint create any kind of "insulating" effect on the fins that might inhibit heat transfer/cooling? I ask only 'cuz it seems like all my 2 cycle equipment has raw metal fins, although I suspect 2 cycle runs hotter than 4-strokers?

Thanks!

Duff :banghead:

Kelly

Only dumb question is the one not asked, Yes if you pour the paint on the block/ cooling fins it can hinder cooling, but I think it would have to be thick, and I think if you have a nice coat of paint on there, not to thick, they the fins will stay cleaner, or easier too clean, and that will help in keeping them cool.

linen beige

Any coating, of any kind, will have SOME insulating effect. But a normal coat of paint is going to insulate very little. Dirt would insulate a lot more than paint so like Kelly points out, a coat of paint that would shed dirt has the real world effect of helping cool the engine.

Duff

(BUMP)

An oldie but a goodie in the questions department, so please bear with me! :thumbs:

On the two M-12's I'm rebuilding the fins on the head are heavily corroded (oxidized?). I think the material is aluminum or an aluminum alloy. The question: If I wire brush these down to as close to bare, clean metal as I can, do I need a special primer to get paint to stick to the metal or will any decent high temp. paint adhere OK? Or should I forego paint altogether, and if so, what's a good way to minimize further corrosion?

Thanks for your patience!

Duff :thumbs2: