Dansj706

transaxle leak

Dansj706

I have just recently purchased a 520xi with approximately 900 hours on it. The previous owner made me aware of a "small" transmission leak. I was willing to take a risk on it because I only paid $600 for the machine and it's in good shape besides that leak. After some disassembly and de-greasing I discovered that the trans leak is coming from the range selector shaft that goes through the top of the casting on the transmission. It's a moderate leak. I could probably still use the machine as is but I would like to fix it. The oil level is in the center of the hash marks at a cold temp and right at the full mark when it's hot. The oil is clean and the filter is newer. It has the correct 10w30 weight oil in it. There is some very small play side to side between the shaft and the block but nothing that would seem excessive or concerning. I've looked at the parts diagram and nothing is shown for any type of seal or o ring on this part which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Toro says it's a "sealed" transaxle but what does that mean? No breather? What's the logic or benefit to that? The way I understand it is that part of the trans is just a oil reservoir and gear box. When I have the speed as high as it can go I can look down the dip stick tube and see oil splashing around in the gear box but why would it seep out of that shaft when it's running? Is it building excessive pressure in the gear box for some reason? Is this an indication of something wrong with the pump? Is this a common problem on these tractors? I'm really stumped as to why this is happening. Any input or solutions to a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Edited by Dansj706

doc724

Do you have a hydraulics service manual for the machine?  You can download it for free on the toro site.  it is the 130 page pdf.  There may be some clues there

Dansj706

I do not have a hydraulic service manual. I'm downloading it now. Hopefully it can help me out some. Thanks doc724 for the information!

Dansj706

Hey doc724! I downloaded that service manual and it specifically identifies that problem I'm having. It says that the dipstick vent hole is plugged and to replace the dipstick. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix. Thank you very much for your information. It was much appreciated!