P'chop

My first restoration :)

P'chop

This is about a tractor I got a couple years ago for Christmas. This is what it looked like before we started restoring it.

post-9223-0-36944400-1396211337_thumb.jp

post-9223-0-06655100-1396211378_thumb.jp

We're restoring it because I wanted to put new decals on it and dad was tired of messing around with the engine.

We started last Friday because plowing season was almost over here and we figured why not start now.

We cleared a spot in the shed and put it on a bench so I could take it apart.

post-9223-0-83368700-1396211836.jpg

We finished on Sunday the same weekend. Dad was cleaning parts with the wire wheel, while I was taking it apart.

post-9223-0-73685000-1396212068.jpg

Dad started sandblasting on Monday and painted every day that week. Dad got most of it done Friday night, so I could get started putting it back together on Saturday.

post-9223-0-86479800-1396212405.jpg

I put as much as I could together that day. We still need some transmission seals, a front rim and a clutch rod and stud. Dad also ordered me a new engine and parts to make new tie rods. I thought Dad was crazy when he made me clean the rust off the lift lever with Brillo pads and Coke! It worked like magic! We also flushed the transmission with lacquer thinner to remove the 46 year old fluid.

post-9223-0-29934100-1396213078.jpg

post-9223-0-51032300-1396213111.jpg

I will post more when the parts come and we install them.

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:woohoo:  Yeah, lookin' really good there...Go P'chop Go!  :text-woo: 

Edited by AMC RULES

KC9KAS

You are doing a fine job (with dads help) of restoring the tractor. :thumbs:

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming!

rexman72

cant wait to see it restored

Jake Kuhn

Looking good there P'chop! :handgestures-thumbup:  I hope to start putting mine together during spring break, I just have to paint my rims and then It will be ready for assembly. Its been apart for 2 years now!

HorseFixer

Pork Chop yer doing a mighty fine job there! :thumbs: Take it HOME!

~Duke :wh:

redrooster

What a fun thing to do with your son!!!

Ken B

Awesome job!

W/H JUNKY

Very cool. cant wait to see more pictures. I have been looking for a ranger to restore myself.

prondzy

Looks great can't wait to see it finished

P'chop

Today we got the parts that we needed for the steering and transmission. We put new seals and gear lube in the transmission, put the fender, shifter, brakes and the hubs on and then we built new tie-rods. We also greased it and it's starting to look like a horse now. We still need seat foam and are waiting for the engine to be delivered.

post-9223-0-51218100-1396485652.jpg

post-9223-0-63500800-1396485674.jpg

Mr. 856

very nice project

brandonozz

I'm not sure how old you are P'chop but I am impressed!  Looks like you guys are doing a great job and your write-up on how the restoration is going is very well done.  My son is only 9 and I try to get him to help me with my projects but he just hasn't been bitten with the "bug" yet..... maybe some day.

Talk about some great quality time!  Keep the pics coming - your horse is looking great.

KATO

AWESOME job :woohoo::handgestures-thumbupright:

roscoemi

P'Chop is my boy and is ten, going on 35! Lol! The wife says he's a chip off the old block head. I had to get him his own tractor because he tried claiming mine when I got it running and painted. He's doing the mechanical work while Dad is stuck cleaning and painting, but I would not have it any other way!

• Like 2

doc724

What a great way to bond with your son, teach him some good mechanical skills and have him learn about engineering from a long ago era.  This experience will last him a lifetime!  P.S.: I like the coke idea.  I wonder which is cheaper, coke or vinegar?

SethL1984

Looking great P'Chop! The shift of that horse will always feel better than an Xbox controller!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Maybe you could get a plow and make some extra $$ this winter too!

oneroadkingman

what type of paint did you use on your project

what type of paint did you use on your project

Fun Engineer

Nice job P'chop. Dad seems to be doing a good job too. Make sure he lets you spray some paint.

What kind of power plant are you putting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

P'chop

The paint is Rustoleum Sunrise Red. I have a plow but people in the neighborhood don't want to pay  :bitch: . We put in  6.5 horse Predator Engine, you should of seen the wheelies he was pulling. I think the coke is cheaper. I recommend Cherry coke because it tastes so good .LOL.  :happy-jumpeveryone:  Here's some pic's from today, yes we still have snow!

post-9223-0-14632700-1397265570.jpg

post-9223-0-04513700-1397265609.jpg

post-9223-0-13231800-1397265633.jpg

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Looks good Russ. Better than when you picked it up from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

roscoemi

Dave, the Chop is doing plenty on this job including supervising! He is very specific in what he wants his tractor to look like, and let's Dad know if it's something is not to his vision. :ranting:  In another few years after he bashes it up a little and wants to freshen it up, he will have all the skills to do it all himself. Rest assured, he will NEVER let this one go. BTW, you have a special place with him, being Santa's little helper and all! Lol

That motor is something else! The Tecky was temperamental on a good day, and would bog in third going across the yard. The new one would have put me on my back if I wasn't minding the clutch! :grin:  My neighbor videoed the launch with 18" of air under the fronts before I pulled the plug. Kyle has requested wheelie bars for the summer!

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

Very nice job guys. Your tractor is looking sweet! Will you be hauling her to any Wheel Horse tractor shows? I like the Brillo pad/Coke idea also... But personally, I prefer PEPSI!

Edited by cruisnblue48

Terry M

That Lawn Ranger is looking really nice!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :)     

diggerjames

Wow what a stunning job you should be proud of that

James