Terry M

New Kohler Piston Rings question

Terry M

Looking to buy new piston rings (with other parts of course) and was wanting to know what the " .003 piston ring" description means or indicates for new rings only (not piston).? I understand the .010, .020 etc. etc.  oversize piston and ring sets.  My guess is the .003 is an over size available on" rings only" to make up for a mild amount of wear on the cylinder without having to bore the cylinder and upgrade the piston and rings to a larger size.  Am I close on this or am I totally wrong in my guess...

Any comments welcome

Thanks 

Mr. 856

I think you are on the right track. Im curious though how long it would be before you needed to open it up again to do a rebore after running the .003 rings on the standard piston. Im sure the answer is going to be revolved around piston to wall/ring to piston clearance etc, etc. But I think your correct in your guess. that is what I assumed also so your not alone.

• Like 1

buckrancher

there was a .003 over piston to go with the rings

bmsgaffer

Anyone know why they stopped making the .003 over piston and rings?

I have a K341 that is right at the upper limits of the std spec and could get away with only honing it if I could use the .003 over piston and rings.

I don't want to bore it because its in such good shape originally. I still have to take it somewhere to check on roundness but based on my own measurements its still within std spec, but only just.

The only ones on fleabay are pretty ugly looking for trying to buy 'new' pistons.

buckrancher

the .003 over piston and rings was to repair a oversize STD bore from production at the factory I would believe that there were not too many units sent out with the .003 oversize repair done as this was a quality issue in the std boring process

brian

Terry M

the .003 over piston and rings was to repair a oversize STD bore from production at the factory I would believe that there were not too many units sent out with the .003 oversize repair done as this was a quality issue in the std boring process

brian

very interesting….and thanks Brian.   Like I said, I've only noticed the .003 oversized/standard rings listed " available" for a few engines, but not pistons.  So my first thought was that you could buy slightly(.003) oversized rings to take-up some wear without boring…but It looks like thats not the case.  I was just looking for parts availability for a K-91 rebuild and there are all the parts available that I could possibly need…..Their just spendy as Heck!!

slammer302

I have a original k161 with the .003 rings in it its on a 704

Terry M

I have a original k161 with the .003 rings in it its on a 704

is the .003 stamped on the piston??   

slammer302

I can't remember its been a while

Terry M

I can't remember its been a while

No Problem, I am just curious how such an engine is identified...

slammer302

I know it had .003 stamped on it I just can't remember if it was on the block or piston