rtfbg

D200 Help from the "experts"!!

rtfbg

Can any of you guys or gals help me date a D200??

Hood decal is "D200 Twin Automatic"

Does not have traction brakes

Background of headlight panel is black.

Kohler engine

large number at bottom of IDtag is 8126  main serial number not readable.

Previous owner said it was a 1967 model ... but had no data to back that up.

Looks identical to a 1978 I used to have.

HELP!!

thanks!!post-12710-0-09560600-1395284217.jpg

Shuboxlover

If the decal is correct it's somewhere between a 1978 to 1981...

More qualified people will chime in.

GREAT looking horse by the way!!!!!

rtfbg

Thanks ... I found a manual online that had the ID page, and it shows this tag would be a 1978 model.  Guess seller was full of it!!  No matter, 78 is fine with me!!

racin_ny

Predecessor of the D was the 18 automatic made in 1973

AMC RULES

Nice lookin' :wh: , did you bring it home?

:WRS:

rtfbg

Yes ... picked it up on Tue.  It looks good in the pics, but it needs a ton of work ... as usual, the steering is shot, the hand controls are all crap and a rear wheel seal is leaking .. all usual D200 stuff!!  BUT .. it appears all the parts are there except the fuel tank cap!! lol

rtfbg

Probably going to sell off the mower deck, decent shape, except the typical nose roller issues.  Let me know if there is any interest, I'll take some pics.

Hodge71

Definitely not a 1967 as the "true" D series didn't start until 1974. It appears to be a 1978..its id tag should be 81-20KS01..... Looks in great shape. You must have been around these tractors quite a bit. It seems lil you know all the normal issues for a tractor of this era.... Good luck with her!!

rtfbg

In 1977 my father helped me get started in life by assisting me with the purchase of a new Kenworth and trailer.  A year or so later, I tried to sort of tried to say thanks, by getting him a new tractor, a D200 from Jack's Wheel Horse in Sarver PA.  I found a huge (7 in high) chrome stallion hood ornament at some truck stop and we bolted it on.  Looked sweet!!  It ran fine, doing tons of mowing and pushing til the early 2000's, when he traded it on a Gravely.  We spent a lot of time working on the typical stuff, installing about a dozen engine / pump spline connectors, steering column bushings and other wear stuff.  The design engineers forgot one thing about the steering ... it's plenty strong enough for the steering function ... the problem is, the tractor is so friggen big, the wheel ends up being the only available climbing handle!!  Not designed for 275lb side loading!! Imagine that!! LOL

rtfbg

I've got another silly question ... the previous owner painted this thing, including the engine, with what I can only guess, was a 10 year old mop!!  Where should I begin stripping paint on the engine to find the ID tag???

thanks!!

bob

wheeledhorseman

The Engine ID is on a couple of foil decals on the engine tin just below the spark plug.

post-4509-0-93887000-1395830554_thumb.jp

Here's the originals

post-4509-0-32322600-1395830737_thumb.jp

This is from my '77 D-200 but the arrangment on my '78 is exactly the same - just don't have pics of that ready to hand.

Hope this helps.

Andy

[edit]  Re the gas cap gauge the original 13" is NLA but I discovered that Kelch (OEM manufacturer) still do a generic 12" that looks good - and gives you a little 'reserve' after it indicates empty.

gallery_4509_190_121879.jpg

This size based on the larger gas tank which should be on yours - both my '78 and '79 have the large tank.

Edited by wheeledhorseman

rtfbg

thanks!!  I will gently hit it with some stripper gel and see if something pops up.  Otherwise, IK may have to borrow someone elses number to shut up the counter clerk at the Toro dealership

pfrederi

You said it didn't have "Traction" brakes...did you mean turning brakes. If it is a 1978 it should have a real brake band on the transaxle. earlier models just used the hydro itself for braking.  If it is a 78 the Kohler Spec number should be 532S-53105A

rtfbg

Yes, turning brakes would be the correct term ... no, none on this model, just the drum brake.

post-12710-0-93474300-1395874824.jpg

leereynolds

I need the quick coupler to a D200 for my tiller. I cannot find the part, is it an option to drill and pin on the spline?

rtfbg

I have another question for the D Gang ... but you can wait a couple days to respond, hopefully this Easter stuff will be gone!!!   I need a part number for a D200 brake band.  The 1974 parts manual I got from one of you guys is pre-brake days, that unit had the turning brakes.  My 78 has the brake band on the trans.  Thanks!!!

gwest_ca

If this tractor is the 91-20KS01 you posted this should take you to the 1979 parts list

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro&mn=91-20ks01

The 2nd Brake and Motion control page shows the brake band.

Garry

rtfbg

Thanks Garry ... I should have looked on the Manuals page first, there's a 78 PL there!!

thanks again!!

bob

pfrederi

Seems the brake band is NLA...McMaster sells strips of brake lining (I use metal free)....and rivets

post-1023-0-52564200-1398087868_thumb.jp

Edited by pfrederi

JamesBe1

Isn't this the same transmission used on all D-series and large C-series? 

If so, then wouldn't a new or used brake band from one of them work?

Just a thought.

j

gwest_ca

If this tractor is the 91-20KS01 you posted this should take you to the 1979 parts list

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro&mn=91-20ks01

The 2nd Brake and Motion control page shows the brake band.

Garry

Your tractor should be a 1979 model with the model number starting with a 9.

Serial 05207 has a build date of 8151 - May 31, 1978

Serial 05262 has a build date of 8152 - June 1, 1978

Seriel 0529x has a build date of 8152 - June 1, 1978 - Your's and can't make out the last digit in the serial.

Not uncommon to see build dates this early for the following model year.

Garry

rtfbg

Thanks guys ... never thought to check McMasters.  I've been watching online, most bands are showing round hoops on both ends ... the D has a hoop on one end and an angle with holes on the other.  Either put new lining on my band, or cut end off and weld it to a different style.  Better sleep on this!! lol   thx again!!!