Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Starter question

BairleaFarm

My starter is messed up on my C160 - I think all it needs is the Bendix gear but havent pulled it apart to verify. Is it safe to assume that all 16hp kohler engines (the older ones) have the same starter? Will the starter off my 10hp work? how about a 12 or a 14 hp. For some reason I get a big headache when I try to compare allt he part numbers on partstree and what not.

Thanks

David

Kelly

10hp and up should fit and work as long as they are both the same type of mount, the make a high mount, witch I think all older WH's are, and a low mount that the bolts that hold it to the block are above the starter not below it.

WheelHorse_of_course

I think there are a few variations in terrs of the number of teeth - count em and ask the seller to verify.

I had problem that I thought were the bendix and it turned out my battery voltage was low. So you might clean the terminals and charge the battery before you doing anything else.

Good luck :banghead:

BairleaFarm

The starter was engaging fine it just wouldn't retract. I wonder is a Bendix gear off a 8hp would work?

TT

Did you check the return spring? If it's broke the gear won't retract.

BairleaFarm

Im sure it is TT the gear is very loose on the shaft. I think its to far ate up to use.