Uncle Buck

Question about snow blowing

Uncle Buck

I used a walk behind 2 stage Ariens sno thrower for over 30 years before deciding to switch to a rider and plow. I have watched countless videos of guys using throwers with WH tractors and virtually every single one I have ever seen the rooster tail of snow coming from the machine is thrown in a high arc say 30-40 or so it appears in the videos.

I am always curious, is it possible to adjust the trajectory of the discharge shoot lower? Or is it a case where that is not an option with the WH blowers? I ask this question because I always found with my old Ariens the lower I aimed the discharge chute the better. By that I mean I was always mindful of where I was discharging the snow but I quickly learned that while the 30-40 foot rooster tail looked mighty impressive I did not like all of the blowback of snow that I ended up wearing when I had the chute adjusted like that. I found that keeping the stream of discharged snow as low as possible kept the snow from turning me into a snowman.

So tell me what the scoop is on the huge rooster tails I always see in the videos fellas. Really just curious, not meaning to be critical I am just that curious about this.

• Like 1

Wyattrrp

Depends on type of blower you get . High chute or older lower chute.  Older lets you turn the blower chute by rotating the cable and can get off tractor to set upper chute cover to direct it far or flat horizontal with a lever to lock into notch for levels of up flow.  Newer tall chutes let you adjust with the top 6 inch  deflector up top to aim upward or horizontal when the chute is turned left, right or forward. Some guys add electric pistons or electric  auto cab drivenpistons? to aim the upper chute on newer blowers whenever they wish to change the flow pattern up or down.  All can rotate right to left. Newer ones are gear driven with rotating handle near the driver. Older with a cable wrapped around a shaft have a handle near the driver too. Good to change direction, either in a wind change of direction.  If wind blowing snow in your face either turn around and blow opposite direction then back up for next pass or get a Cab.  Yes both older low chute and newer higher chute can make the snow flow horizontal or up in the air if downwind for a nice visual

Wyattrrp

squonk

The tall roosters are cool!  :thumbs: I need that big lift as my sidewalk is right next to some bushes and I need to toss the snow over them  :bow-blue:

WH nut

Sure you can adjust the height of the throw, the key is to blow with the wind. The farther out I throw it, the less I have to throw the next time.

shorts

The chutes are adjustable, My theory on moving snow is that anytime you have to touch snow move it as far as you can because once it has been moved it starts to set up like concrete and is very hard to move a second or third time.

KC9KAS

My theory on moving snow is that anytime you have to touch snow move it as far as you can because once it has been moved it starts to set up like concrete and is very hard to move a second or third time.

This is exactlly what I tell the moron town council members that have the street workers to just go down each street 1 time each way!

There is 4 to 6 feet of black-top still covered with ice & snow after they are "done" plowing.

That is why I clean the street from curb to curb in my neighborhood.

sorekiwi

I want to know why the direction of the wind always makes me want to blow the snow off my gravel driveway towards the windows of my house.

ronwh

I have a little of Tim the Tool Man in me, if I can throw it over the street lights I am happy happy happy.

• Like 1

boovuc

On the tall-chute blowers, you can change the angle at the very top of the chute but honestly, it cuts done on the amount it can pick up and wing. If we have a very powdery snow, I'll flip that top piece at a 90 degree angle and it does help keep a lot of blow back off me. Very wet snow needs that top piece opened all the way up to arc the snow. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much if you don't have a cab for your tractor. You WILL get covered with snow without a cab.