myron in ct

electric PTO clutch

myron in ct

I am having trouble removing my electric PTO clutch . The tag said to use 5/8 bolt 11 threads per inch .

I used my impack wrench on the bolt and can't move it  .

Des anyone have a good way of removing it ?

Thanks Myron   

oldredrider

Remove any set screws completely and spray Kriol or PB Blaster in there. Let it soak for a while. An impact wrench "shouldn't" be necessary as it is just a press fit.

daveoman1966

If your electric PTO looks like this one, it should come off without much trouble.  How long is the 6/8 bolt you are using?

Edited by daveoman1966

WH nut

Make sure it isn't double set screwed

myron in ct

I can't find any set screw . I though the large bolt held the clutch on . 

The bolt I am using 5 in. long

Myron

daveoman1966

If it is like the one in the pic I sent, there are no set screws.  How are you  holding the clutch to keep it from spinning when you apply the impact wrench?  Your only alternative is to remove the 5/8 bolt and saok the inside cavity with PB Blaster or some other penetrant.  Just keep trying... swearing isn't allowed. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I popped mine loose by making 4or 5 short jackbolts out of 3/8 bolts and nuts. The bolts have to be the correct length to just fit  between the PTO and the drive pulley.   Then using two thin open end wrenches, hold the bolt, and turn the nuts off to apply pressure on the PTO. Use this in addition to the 5/8-11 center bolt. Also, I put a 1/2" nut in the shaft hole under the 5/8-11 bolt. It gives the bolt something to push against with less torsional friction.  Use grease on all the threads.

• Like 1