REDOFCOURSE

NOT a good day !!!

REDOFCOURSE

We got another 4" of snow last night. Went out this morning and blew the snow off my 1000' private lane I share with other neighbors. Got the lane cleared and started to clear individual drives when my 520h lost power to the rear cylinder. It  still ran so I drove it to the shed, took the blower and chains off, and put them on another 520H I have. I pulled out of the shed and noticed the tire chain rubbing on the fender bracket so I backed up into the shed to try to slide wheel hub out a little. As I was backing up, the snowblower dropped to the ground. I looked under the tractor and found my lift lever snapped in two. So I took the blower and chains off this tractor and got out my 418A . Third times a charm. The 418A finished the job. I guess this is a good reason that there is no such thing as having too many Wheel Horses.

• Like 6

rexman72

sorry to hear that about the 50 but that 418 is a mean machine

stevasaurus

Where have you been???  That many horses that close to me and only 3 posts.  :ychain:   We have had a hard winter...it is good to have multiple horses.  Knock on wood...no equipment mal-functions here yet.  Maybe a thaw next week in Chicago Land...man...we need it this year. :)  I'm guessing you had a heated garage to do all that changing around.

dandan111

I finished all my plowing but my tractor would not start in deep snow very well. It would just sit. I think I have a belt glaze problem. I checked the key on the transmission pulley and installed a new belt. I think it's all good now, I'm tired. Taking care of snow is a job enough without working on the tractor. Think we have around 8 or 10 inches of fresh today.

-this was my first drive belt replacement so I can't complain to much.

WH nut

I feel your pain. I noticed the last time I was blowing the blower would only lift a few inches off the ground. Took the blower off and the lift pin had bent. So I straightened it out and remounted, Was better but still didn't lift like it should. So I go out to blow today and took a look and it appears to be the tractors (C145) problem. The lift is working but the bell crank is slipping on the shaft. It was still lifting a little so I cleaned up the snow and I have just finished and tried to lift the blower and I heard a pop. The 1/4 key must have finally snapped. Dragged her back to the garage and start the tear down tomorrow

All my other tractors are out back in the shed and I cant get to them with all the snow and no blower

Edited by WH nut

REDOFCOURSE

Nope. Did I say it was a bad day? No heat in shed !  Hoping it is just a spark plug on the 520H. Have not looked into it yet. Might wait till it's warmer out. Not much of a poster but plan on changing that. Plenty of nice people here! 

• Like 5

REDOFCOURSE

I feel your pain. I noticed the last time I was blowing the blower would only lift a few inches off the ground. Took the blower off and the lift pin had bent. So I straightened it out and remounted, Was better but still didn't lift like it should. So I go out to blow today and took a look and it appears to be the tractors (C145) problem. The lift is working but the bell crank is slipping on the shaft. It was still lifting a little so I cleaned up the snow and I have just finished and tried to lift the blower and I heard a pop. The 1/4 key must have finally snapped. Dragged her back to the garage and start the tear down tomorrow

All my other tractors are out back in the shed and I cant get to them with all the snow and no blower

You are in the same boat as I am. The bell crank is what snapped in two. I don't plan to tear it down till its warm out due to no heat in shed. I had just restored this tractor last year and it runs good, but useless if it doesn't lift the blower. Hope you can get to your other tractors soon, mine are all kept in the shed.

Sparky

Nope. Did I say it was a bad day? No heat in shed !  Hoping it is just a spark plug on the 520H. Have not looked into it yet. Might wait till it's warmer out. Not much of a poster but plan on changing that. Plenty of nice people here! 

I hope that's its a spark plug as well......but those Onans have a scary reputation for loosing a valve seat. Usually its from overheating which shouldn't be as big an concern in the winter.

Mike.............

WH nut

I hope its not the bell crank that's split

REDOFCOURSE

I know about the onans and hope as well its not a seat valve. Had that engine apart last winter and seats looked fine. I also adjusted the tappets gap. And yes it is the bellcrank that split.

Wheel Horse Kid

Sounds like you had your share of troubles yesterday...Hopefully, your 520 is an easy fix.

Wheel-N-It

There was I time when I thought four Wheel Horses were enough. Now I'm beginning to believe we can't have too many!

Your case in point Red ;)     

WH nut

There was I time when I thought four Wheel Horses were enough. Now I'm beginning to believe we can't have too many!

Your case in point Red ;)     

I have 9 but cant get to the back shed because of snow and a broken blower tractor. Don't put all your eggs in one basket lol

• Like 1

6wheeler

I know about the onans and hope as well its not a seat valve. Had that engine apart last winter and seats looked fine. I also adjusted the tappets gap. And yes it is the bellcrank that split.

Well, Sorry to hear about the 520 problem. I had the same thing happen to mine last fall. I thought, Oh crap, valve seat. NOT. Turned out it was the rear plug wire. Stole the wire off of the 165 and voila!!!!! Back up and running. Hopefully that is your problem. Borrow a plug wire from one of your other tractors and try it. Good Luck.

squonk

What's up with the bell cranks breaking all of a sudden?  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

WH nut

What's up with the bell cranks breaking all of a sudden?  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Pure abuse Im sure lol

smoreau

Blowers are not light and if you push two hard with the blower up a little, the bell crank gets a lot of pressure. I'm sure that's the cause when trying to move back piles that are higher then the blower. The key way is a natural weak spot on the tube of the rock shaft.

Edited by smoreau

REDOFCOURSE

I don't know if this is what happened, but the lift flag may have hit the concrete apron in the doorway since it is up high enough to keep rain water out of the shed. I'm going to shovel gravel on each side of this so it won't protrude so high.

REDOFCOURSE

Good news. I went down to the shed with a new spark plug in hand. Was going to change plug and plug wire as 6wheeler had suggested. I decided to start the engine before doing anything and it is running fine. Both cylinders are firing, not sputtering, plenty of power. I think what happened is that with all the snow blowing I was doing, snow must  have accumulated on the engine, melted, and was shorting the spark to the rear cylinder.  That was the easiest fix I've ever done, just sit and wait till the problem went away.

ericj

if that was the case go ahead and change the wires. a good wire won't short out when wet and then it won't happen the next time your out blowing snow

eric j                                               

AMC RULES

OK, you guys have convinced me...   :scared-eek:

the two horses I currently have on standby for snow duty, just aren't enough.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

ericj

i have a 520-H with a 2 stage blower, a wheel horse trail blazer 7 and a mtd 10.5 hp 28" 2 stage blower, plus 7 tractors with plows. i keep 1 up @ my wife's 90 year old grandma's house and 2 of them are buried behind other tractors under tarps so they might be a little hard to access in a hurry but i sometimes wonder if i have enough lol 

eric j

baerpath

Went out today to do cleanup with the 14 and 2 stage, starter locked up Had to take it off and loosen it up now it works fine. Not a moments problem last time. Just proves ---t happens  This one week after loaning the C125 out with the pushblade.  Set another plow tractor up this afternoon.  C195 with a 60 inch pushblade

Wheel-N-It

Global Warming strikes again!!! :ychain: