wheelhorsekid

23x10.5x12 Tires Won't Fit Stock Rims

wheelhorsekid

I recently purchased these tires from Miller http://www.millertire.com/products/lawn-garden-tires/23x10-50-12/23x10-50-12-carlisle-tru-power-4-ply/

And they will not fit my stock rims on my C 161. They keep popping off. The guy mounting them for me said they were too thick and usually he can get them to work on the stock rim. So now I need the right rim and offset. Does anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks for any help.

varosd

you will need the wider rims that were on later year 520's, my 83 Work Horse has the wider rims so other folks will chime that they are on different models.  they do still sell that wide rim from Toro I believe. and someone told me there are white

wheelhorsekid

I called a Toro dealer and they can get new rims for the 520. Cost $124.50 each + $8 shipping. If anyone has a set used they are willing to part with PM me please.

baerpath

For that you can get aluminum ones lol   I have rims not sure of the offset soe are off WH some cubs others Sears etc

wheelhorsekid

Scratch that! They quoted me on 8.5" wide rims saying that's what came on the 520. Baerpath if you have a set of rims from a 520 that would work let me know.

varosd

yes, you need the 8.5" width rims in order to use the 10.5" width tires. ^_^

squonk

I have 10.5's on Marvin and my c-160 with the stock wheels that came on them. . I don't think they were wider :confusion-scratchheadblue:

IMG_0049_zps2949439d.jpg

IMG_0043_zps25f0ce12.jpg

• Like 2

bitten

Your link says 8.5" wheel width

Sparky

Your link says 8.5" wheel width

That's correct. Tire tread width and rim width do not match. The GT-1800 and the 520's (and maybe others) came with 8.5" rims which are the best width for 10.5 rubber. The C-161 in question here would have had 7" wide rims from the factory which work best with 8.5 and 9.5 rubber.

Mike..........

Sparky

Scratch that! They quoted me on 8.5" wide rims saying that's what came on the 520. Baerpath if you have a set of rims from a 520 that would work let me know.

Since your C161 will have the under-fender fuel tank you must use the proper offset to avoid rubbing the tank so Cub Cadet and Sears rims will not work.

Mike.......

• Like 2

M151A1

As far as rim width is concerned, the 7" width is what is listed on page 15 of Carlisle's .pdf catalog on their web site. http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/lawn-garden-golf/Ti11 The ideal width would be 8.5" to keep the sidewalls flatter but it is not required. As Sparky stated, there will be 3/4" less space between your tire and gas tank that you will have to take into account. (Mounted Dia.= 23.3", Mounted Width = 10.4", Rim Width = 7.00") 

Tyson   

wheelhorsekid

yes, you need the 8.5" width rims in order to use the 10.5" width tires. ^_^

I have 8.5" wide rims now and the tire keeps popping off the rim. Trying to find a 10.5" wide rim from a 520 now.

wheelhorsekid

That's correct. Tire tread width and rim width do not match. The GT-1800 and the 520's (and maybe others) came with 8.5" rims which are the best width for 10.5 rubber. The C-161 in question here would have had 7" wide rims from the factory which work best with 8.5 and 9.5 rubber.

Mike..........

The shop who was mounting them said I had 8.5" wide rims and they would not mount. I might take them  to another shop tomorrow to see if anyone else can mount them.

Martin

I have 8.5" wide rims now and the tire keeps popping off the rim. Trying to find a 10.5" wide rim from a 520 now.

The shop who was mounting them said I had 8.5" wide rims and they would not mount. I might take them  to another shop tomorrow to see if anyone else can mount them.

8.5 rims from a 520 are plenty wide enough for 23 x 10.50-12 tru powers. you don't need to find 10.5 rims.....

how are you measuring the width of the rims?. the right way to measure is from inside lip to inside lip. (the place where the tire bead rests.) don't measure the overall width of the rim.

im not sure what you mean by 'too thick' either. they shouldn't be too stiff to mount being 4 ply. are you saying they are too wide?

pacer

and the tire keeps popping off the rim.

OK, maybe this is where we are getting off track here (at least I am...)  What exactly is "popping off", does the tire actually come off the rim? or wont hold air? or??

I cant see how it would be possible for a 12" tire to physically "pop off" of a 12" rim. Its all to common for these old rims to not allow a new tire to reseal and will not hold air. If you have 8.5" rims there shouldnt be any reason at all for them to not work, though you may have to put tubes in them...

Martin

also, when you say you have 8.5 rims now, are you talking about the measurement of the rim or that they had 23 x 8.50-12 tires on them?

OK, maybe this is where we are getting off track here (at least I am...)  What exactly is "popping off", does the tire actually come off the rim? or wont hold air? or??

I cant see how it would be possible for a 12" tire to physically "pop off" of a 12" rim. Its all to common for these old rims to not allow a new tire to reseal and will not hold air. If you have 8.5" rims there shouldnt be any reason at all for them to not work, though you may have to put tubes in them...

bead seating problem maybe?

pacer

"measurement of the rim or that they had 23 x 8.50-12 tires on them?"

Excellent question Martin...

wheelhorsekid

They told me the tire was actually popping off the rim. They also told me I had 8.5" wide rims. I just did a measure and they are 7" wide. So I will need to get the 8.5" wide rim for my tires to work.

M151A1

Discount Tire had to use a TurboBlast bead seating system to get an extra air burst between the tire and rim to help seat stubborn beads. I had several ATV tires mounted and they had to this air gun to stretch the bead to seal. I have those tires as well and the side walls are stiff. For those of us that have done this ourselves, a ratchet strap around the center of the tire helped bulge the sidewalls out to make contact with the rim.

Tyson  

• Like 1

KATO

IM totally confused ...I've NEVER EVER heard of a tire "popping off"

of a rim :confusion-confused: Width has NO on effect on diameter. if its a 12 inch rim then a

12 inch tire WILL NOT "pop off" period

Navig8r

of a rim :confusion-confused: Width has NO on effect on diameter. if its a 12 inch rim then a

I agree.....  Has the dia. of the rim and of the new tire been verified???

OP... where in Hudson Valley are you?  And what shop are you working with?

• Like 1

Hodge71

This whole thing has me confused now….520's had  8.5 inch rims and the popping off thing has me lost as well. To me it sounds like a tire tech that has no real clue how to do his job. I have never had these issues and I do my tires myself except for the 6 ply tires on the 18 Automatic rear..those were mounted for me

Wheel-N-It

OK then its not just me. I've never heard of any tire popping off a rim before. I'd like to see a pic of the problem area. Just double checking here, is the problem with one tire or both?

• Like 1

Kelly

Sounds like you need another tire shop, I mount all my own tires by hand, I have put to wide a tire on a narrow rim and too narrow a tire on a wide rim, some take more work than others but they fit.

Another note off brand tires run a little small and fit the narrow rims better, a true 10.5 tire will fit best on a 8.5 rim, I have off brands on the standard 7" rims with no problem but the tread does not lay as flat as it would on a wider rim. 

Edited by Kelly

Wheel-N-It

Sounds like you need another tire shop, I mount all my own tires ny hand, I have put to wide a tire on a narrow rim and too narrow a tire on a wide rim, some take more work than others but they fit.

Another note off brand tires run a little small and fit the narrow rims better, a true 10.5 tire will fit best on a 8.5 rim, I have off brands on the standard 7" rims with no problem but the tread does not lay as flat as it would on a wider rim. 

Pretty much what I was thinking too.