Sign in to follow this  
Steve in Mo

Coil question on 10hp K241AS

Steve in Mo

I have a K214AS 10Hp engine. The coil went bad (looked to be original) purchased a new 12volt coil with externial condensor from Car Quest. Unit ran total of 2 hours or so. Now no spark again, do I really need a Kohler coil and should I just get internial condensor (resitor) ???? Both the Wheel Horse site and the Garden Tractor fourm on Antique Tractors.com say I should only use Kohler parts but I can't see how it makes a difference.

big mike

I would get an internal resistor coil and let'r fly.I don't see how the brand(Kohler or CarQuest) can make a difference.

rocking 416

you also mite want to check point gap .. a kohler coil is under 40$ last time i bought one with new mount too

oldandred

Every once in a wile I go to the local junk yard for autos they charge a dollar to get in and I look for coils in cars with the older ing, systems I get about four or five + other stuff the most they charge is $1.00 for the coils and have been using them for years with out any problems :banghead:

BairleaFarm

Every once in a wile I go to the local junk yard for autos they charge a dollar to get in and I look for coils in cars with the older ing, systems I get about four or five + other stuff the most they charge is $1.00 for the coils and have been using them for years with out any problems :banghead:

thats actually a great Idea

Kelly

If using a car coil, make sure you put a ballast resistor on it to drop the voltage down to around 9V, running 12V to the points all the time will burn the points, even on cars, they had a means to drop the volts after start up, resistor wire or ballast resistor, they only had 12V during start up to help with cold starts.

Kohler coils have the resistor built in.

WheelHorse_of_course

:thumbs: A few points (pun intended??) :USA:

1) Not sure what you meant by an external condenser?

2) Some coils have an "internal resistor" and others require an external resistor.

You can tell the difference with an ohm meter

3) If you don't have a resistor (internal or external) you will burn up points.

4) You might check your points before you buy another coil

I would not buy a Kohler coil, I would go the third party or used route.

Best of luck :banghead: :omg: