RMCIII

42" Snow blower chain length

RMCIII

Just broke my chain on the snow blower. Does anyone know the actual length of the chain? TSC has the chain stock. 5xi blower.

Rob

RMCIII

Just in case you do not know the length of the chain.... 2' 10". You could go 3', but then the idler sprocket, does not have as much tension to work with, once the chain begins to stretch...

Rob

shorts

good info, I usually just order a 10' box of chain and some half and master links from MSC or Northern and keep it on the shelf for when it's needed and then cut it to fit. It probably works out to the same cost if I can remember which shelf to look on.

• Like 1

dewdew

How about a 1997 300 series blower for a c165. Does anyone know the chain length for that. I can't find it on the toro website.

shorts

Toro, WH won't give you a chain size, they will sell you a chain for your model and serial number.  take your old chain and figure out what size it is , usually a number stamped on the chain links then buy that size chain in bulk and cut the length to fit,  Use a grinder to remove the rivet heads off of the pins on the next outer link and use a hammer and chisel to separate the outer link, reassemble the new chain with a master link.

WH nut

The best way is to count the links instead of measuring. Chains stretch but the number of links stay the same. If you cant find a number on the chain take an idlers with you. A #40 and #41 look so close to the same its hard to tell and they wont interchange.

RMCIII

The best way is to count the links instead of measuring. Chains stretch but the number of links stay the same. If you cant find a number on the chain take an idlers with you. A #40 and #41 look so close to the same its hard to tell and they wont interchange.

Agree. But if you were like me, and only had a portion of the chain, the next step is to measure. I measured with a string. Took the string length, to the Toro Dealership, and said I need a section of #40 chain this long. We then measured it/ was 3' exact. Then I asked her to take it back a few links, just because it looked a little long. < That was a VERY LUCKY GUESS, to have her do so. Measured 2'10" when we were done.  But I am glad I did. If I would of left it the length of the string, I would not have had any travel left with my idler sprocket.

• Like 1

dewdew

Thanks for the help guys. Just bought the new chain I hope this will fix my problem.

Wyattrrp

I know the 42" single stage 79360 that fits many years is 51 male links including master link.  Tractor Supply Co has 10 ft of #40 roller chain for $20 .  As I think Sparky has posted in the past, easy way to cut the chain is grind off one side of the pin flush with the side of the link.  Then place a small Socket , like a 1/4 ", vertical on the bench, place the pin over the socket hole and use a punch and hammer  to push the pin down into the socket.  Then just need a master link.  Both ends must be female for the master.  Not sure what the xi blower uses.  

• Like 1

Wyattrrp

If I recall, the 51 links is in the range of 3.5 to 4+ feet a lot longer than 2' 10".  The 10 ft one can make 2 easily.

• Like 1