hgarblnd

L157 Lawn Ranger shift problems

hgarblnd

Just purchased a L157 and have a problem shifting it into gear from netural. The tractor is at a dead stop, clutch engaged, Brake engaged, and it still grinds the gears and will not go into gear. When you push the brake in completely is it suppose to stop the input shaft? The drive belt is new but seems very loose when the clutch is depressed. need advice on where to start.  Thanks

groundhog47

:twocents-02cents:  Sounds as if input is still turning gears or wouldn't grind. Try removing drive belt entirely and shifting through gears, may have to rock back and forth on wheels. You should be at complete stop to shift (prob reason for Ranger brake clutch set up). Check and assure not front rear slopin input shaft (bearings shot) If that works try reattaching drive belt making sure belt guard adjusted properly, loosen brake band, put in gear, start and see if tractor attempts move with clutch depressed while starting. If does belt must be grabbing by material type or length or guard adjustment. STRICTLY OPINION. Practice ttaught me belt materail is important.

953 nut

:WRS:  If you start the :wh: with it in gear and clutch depressed and it does not pull until you let up on the clutah I think I know the problem. There should be a wiper thingie that the belt rides up against when it is slack, this will slow or stop the belt with the clutch depressed but not contact the belt with it released. This is about a 3/16 round arm with an eye bend bolted to the tractor. It could be out of adjustment or missing.

Hope tis helps.                   :text-welcomeconfetti: 

pfrederi

Lawn Rangers fom 67 do no use metal rods on the tranny drive belt. (They are used on the belt for the deck)

There is a metal tab welded to the lower edge of the belt gard up by the engine pulley. The curved surface should be about less than 1/4 inch from  the belt.

hgarblnd

Thanks for the suggestions. Stupid me, in a rush to get my new L157 to move on its own power, I did not even put the belt gard back on after I put the new belt on.  I wanted to ride it a few feet before I started the complete tear down and restoration.  If I turned the engine off put it in gear and held the brake down hard it would start and drive when the clutch/brake was released. I did not know the belt guard had a function other than keeping a pants leg out of the belt. The input shaft does not have any slack or play in it, the new belt I put on was the right length and width, but not an origional wheel horse belt, Just received the origional belt in the mail but have not put it on. I see the metal tab welded to the belt gard Paul mentioned, I now know the correct distance it needs to be from the belt when I put it back on. I also see the 3/16 round arm that was suppose to be bolted onto the tractor, in my haste to ride it, it was sitting on the work bench with the belt gard.  Thanks all for the suggestions and help, this gives me some things to check and do before the next "gotta ride it".

• Like 1

hgarblnd

Update, Finished the tear down and restoration of the L-l157. Put the new wheel horse belt on, but the tractor still grinding gears with belt cover off, input shaft still turning, INSTALLED BELT GUARD and all is well, input shaft stops when break/clutch depressed, gears shift with no grinding.  I am truley amazed that the belt guard made that much difference, I tried to stop the belt from turning without the guard in place with no luck, the belt guard did the job.  Thanks to all for your help and input.

• Like 1