myron in ct

oil in Gt-14

myron in ct

I purchased 1970 GT-14 in very ruff condition . The hydro was not working the oil was very low so I put in a qt. automatic trans. oil it was all that I had still low so I put in a qt. of 10w-30 engine oil to test the trans.  Did I screw up the trans .? What oil should I use ?

Myron in ct 

tractorbeast

look under manuals section-lubrication guide

brandonozz

I wouldn't mix the two.  I'm not sure if the trans came from the factory with ATF or engine oil - i think early years used ATF but you can check the manuals.  Regardless it may have been swapped by the PO.  If it were me I would drain it all out and replace with whatever was in it when last in service.  Maybe pull the filter and drain it to see what was used last.

AMC RULES

Doubt you hurt it, but you should pick one or the other before you take it up to operating temps. 

KC9KAS

My 1969 GT-14 info says: 4 quarts of ATF for the hydro system.

Don't forget to also replace the hydraulis filter..

myron in ct

Thanks to all that replied .

Myron in ct 

953 nut

The 1970 GT-14 came from the :wh: Factory with ATF in it. later on they wen to 10 W 30 but either will work. Since you don't know what was in it I would select one (both will work) and change the fluid in cluding the filter, NAPA # 1410. Run it around a little to get it warmed up and change it again including another new filter.

Presuming the trans. didn't have other issues this should give you a fresh start. If you should have problems you will find lots of help here.

KC9KAS

953 nut, thanks for the hydro filter number.

Would this be the same for all WH hydros? Specifically a 875 and a B-100.........Thanks!

Brrly1

Put an OEM filter on it. Spend a couple dollars more, the tractor will last alot longer. I think 79-5270 should work. Good luck

953 nut

953 nut, thanks for the hydro filter number.

Would this be the same for all WH hydros? Specifically a 875 and a B-100.........Thanks!

As far as I know the same filter works for all. I don't think the Toro filter is any better or worse, all I know is NAPA has done well by me for 50 years and besides, I don't have a toro dealer within 50 miles.

Hodge71

I personally feel that the Napa filter is a premium filter. Its made by Wix for Napa and I have cut a WH filter in half to see what they were like…They're good but the Napa 1410 is better. Don't even think bout putting an oil filter for a car on it or a Stens Hydro filter. The Stens is junk compared to OEM and Napa. I have a 1970 Charger 12 auto with the Hydrogear tranny in it. I thought these all had to be Transmission fluid. Anything after 1974 was 10w-30 and 1973 was a transition year that could go either way. Dads 12 Auto had 10w-30 in it from the factory but my 18 Auto has tranny fluid in it. Both have a factory sticker that says either oil or tranny fluid will work

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

Kevbo

Either NAPA or OEM do not use STENS. 

I have noticed Sundstrand usually has ATF and the Eaton trannys use 10W-30. But as stated before there was a service update where they converted over to 10W-30. 

Mobil1 synthetic all the way!