Sign in to follow this  
Pickle

Wheel Horse 417A

Don1977

Make sure all the spacers between the idlers in the Mule Drive are in the right place. Check to make sure the welded pin in the Mule Drive cover hasn't broken loose If it has the cover will rub on the belt.

Pickle

Make sure all the spacers between the idlers in the Mule Drive are in the right place. Check to make sure the welded pin in the Mule Drive cover hasn't broken loose If it has the cover will rub on the belt.

There is no intererence between belt and cover. I'm finding a lot of play in the lower tach - a - matic - going to take it off and see what is worn/damaged.

tunahead72

I think these guys have identified your main problem, but something else to check...

On your mule drive, you shouldn't need a washer between that big nut and the belt cover. You SHOULD have two spacers, one between the two pulleys and one between the outer (flat) pulley and the cover. They're different sizes, I don''t remember which one goes where.

Do you have a parts manual for your deck?

tunahead72

Sorry, I didn't see Don1977's post for some reason.

Pickle

I think these guys have identified your main problem, but something else to check...

On your mule drive, you shouldn't need a washer between that big nut and the belt cover. You SHOULD have two spacers, one between the two pulleys and one between the outer (flat) pulley and the cover. They're different sizes, I don''t remember which one goes where.

Do you have a parts manual for your deck?

I have a parts manual for the deck - the big washer came from a previous owner - I simply left it in place.

Pickle

I removed the deck tatch-a -matic and had some small welds put in the worn areas - much better now.

I found what shredded my belt - not realizing the "down" hydro lever used to lower the deck could actually apply pressure, I learned the lowering arm makes quite a mess of the middle deck pulley when the lever is held in the down position too long.

Pickle

Jeff-C175

the "down" hydro lever used to lower the deck could actually apply pressure

I'm puzzled by this...  On my 175, and pretty much any of the others I've looked at, there is a few links of CHAIN that are between the deck and the 'rocker' arm that's connected to the hydro cylinder.  When you go all the way down with the lever, the chain goes more or less slack.  You can't 'push' a chain!  :eusa-think:

Have you got something different?

JackC

If the tractor had a plow on it there may have been a solid link used instead of the chain to provide down pressure on the blade.  

The solid link is not used for mowing decks.

Pickle

Switched to chain setup today after reading this, wondered what it was for - I need to learn more about the Wheel Horse tractors.