Sign in to follow this  
mowermechanic

Unkown Wheel Horse tractor

mowermechanic

I know this guy who has an old wheel horse in his backyard just rusting away. I Want to buy it but I want to know what model it is. The plate from the engine says H55B-1170 9444756. It looks like one of those rj 35's but Im more into cubs than wheel horses. Thanks anyone who can help me. I'd like to know what kind of engine is on it too.

Retired Wrencher

:USA::wh::wwp::WRS:  Picks would help a lot . I hope u can find out  the info not my area. Gary       B.............

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like a 550 or 551 which has a 5.5hp Tecumseh lauson.

• Like 1

mid60's

I'd say it's a 1960 Suburban 550.  Nice find.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

mowermechanic

I can't put up any pictures of it, but i'd like to know what its worth. This thing is rough. The engine doesn't pull over. The rim of the wheel is almost broken off from the hub its so rusty. The seat has major rust holes In it. The bottom of the gas tank is beat to all hell. And its missing the grill. The hood and fenders are in good condition. If anyone knows what I should buy it for or how much I could sell it for or even if you'd like to buy it. Let me know please. I hate to know its just sitting there rusting.

cruisnblue48

Last summer, I paid $75 for a 1961 WH 551 that was rusting away in the woods. No engine, no hood, no belt guard, transaxle was locked up, rear tires were shot but wheel rims were good. Unless the engine in yours runs and the transaxle is free, probably not worth much more than what I paid for mine. Pics would really help.

Ken B

It doesn't sound like its worth much, tell him you'll haul it away for nothing! If that don't work start at 50 and end at 100 if you can't live without it. Its almost impossible to give a true value without a picture...

AMC RULES

Sometimes they're just not meant to be.    :teasing-poke: 

Keep lookin'...there's still lots of nice  :wh: 's in your area. 

:WRS:

cruisnblue48

I agree with KenB. If it's a basket case, probably not worth more than the scrap metal or as a lawn ornament. All depends what you want to do with it. Obviously, trying to restore it to any kind of running condition will cost you a lot of time and money... a lot more money than you will ever recoup. You could buy it for as little as possible and make a few bucks selling it to a serious WH collector like any of us here at RedSquare. My old 551 is turning out to be a real nice rat rod style tractor, something different. So yeah, they can be brought back to life.

Edited by cruisnblue48

mowermechanic

Here's some pictures of it. Please no links to Craigslist unless it's your own item . Is it worth $50?

Edited by nylyon

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Yikes.  That looks really rough.  I'd only go $50 if I was feeling extra generous that day.  There may be a few good parts but I wouldn't want to try to restore it.  

mowermechanic

Yeh the guy says he wants to find out what someone else would pay for it. Now I can show him. Thank you. The only thing good on is the fenders and hood are in good shape and the back tires have good tread.