Sign in to follow this  
marvairplanes

Model 420 LSE

marvairplanes

Does anyone here on RED SQUARE own a Model 420 LSE...or know of the owner of one?

Only 225 (or maybe 226) were manufactured. Wonder how many still exist?

I need some information re the chrome "extras".

Thanks,

Marv (NW Oh)

TT

There were two of them within a 15 mile radius from me up until about three years ago, Marv.

Two brothers bought a pair of them new in 1986, and the one was only about 4 miles from me up until the daughter moved away and took it with her. (Her dad actually had her name engraved on the hood plaque, so it's always been hers, I guess. B) )

"DMESS" can probably answer any stray questions you might have, but I do know that all 4 wheels, the deck height gauge wheels, deck belt tensioner (a.k.a. "mule drive"), rear drawbar, flywheel screen, muffler, and air cleaner were all chrome plated.

wh500special

The PTO and Hydro levers were chrome also. So were the spokes in the leather wrapped steering. And don't forget the muffler and air cleaner.

I have seen the 225/226 number repeatedly here, but wonder where that came from??? I know the brochure for the tractor said "200 of these limited special edition tractors have been built..." but I know THAT isn't a production tally. just curious.

Steve

Brrly1

Hello Marv Question? Do you know who Donnie Fisher is that used to own Jones Wheel Horse here in Maumee, Ohio. I believe that he owns the #1 420LSE and also believe he owns #2.These tractors all came out with serial #'s on a Chrome plate I believe mounted on top of the hood. Carl might have said he sold 2 after he got #1 but I am not real sure. Donnie is one of the guys who is into the Big Oliver tractors and has quite the display. See ya soon Burly B)

DMESS

What exactly are you questioning Marv? WH literature referenced 200 built but other sources put it at 225/6. As far as how many are left.......hard to say. A lot of dealers seemed to hold onto these as their prized posessions, but there were certainly plenty sold too. Like any other model out there, knowing how many are left is impossible. Sure weren't many to start with!

Last you posted you were trying to acquire one. Did you strike the deal?

Nick

My local dealer couldnt get rid of the one they had so some of the chrome extras were removed and it was sold as a worker. B) They had it back a year a two ago then sold it again. But the chrome parts had been sold at some other point. I'll have to ask if it was the only LSE sold in this area.

marvairplanes

Production # 51...parked in my shop!!!!

The tractor is a thing of beauty !

One scratch under the seat about 1/2 inch long. I've gone over it a dozen times and can't find any other imperfections. Well, one of the decals should probably be replaced. Wonder if any body is making any for this model?

The red "tarp" cover has never been out of the plastic bag. A set of blades that are still in the box, extra set of chrome deck wheels, original paper work, a binder with receipts for new drive belts, batteries, etc...The key chain is really unique, silver dollar sized with wheel horse engraved.

Everything works perfectly...lights, idiot lights and warnings, etc.

Black leather seat and steerin wheel cover look like new.

Now...here's what I can't figure out.

How can a tractor look this good and have 1700 hours?

No smoke at start up...engine is clean and no leaks or drips. Tires have all their tread and are not weather checked.

All chrome is as shiney as a mirror except for a few rust specks that I can probably rub clean.

Was going to wipe it down and polish it...decided it didn't need it !

Marv (NW Oh)

TT

So, Marv.....

Do we have to PAY you for pictures????? B)

Congratulations on the bagging of the 420LSE! :whistle:

Brrly1

TT It must be a Pay-per-view type situation!!! Congrats Marv Burly B)

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

jusjeepn

I have a buddy who has one! Paid a pretty penny. Dealer had closed up but owner kept this one for himself. Buddy bought it with 2hrs on the ticker. Took it home and mowed his yard B) He has since covered it up and put it in a corner of his shop. :whistle: I'll see if I can get some pics and a production #

hodge

I remember a new, never run 420 sold on Ebay a couple of years ago, and it was in Richmond, which is about an hour and a half away. It had never had oil in the engine- it went for $3500, if my memory serves me.

whlpny

I haven't heard much of real production figures but my 420 LSE says "#174 out of 200 "on the top hood tag below the original purchasers name- which was a woman. Maybe I missed it in the posts -if I did excuse me- but there is also a Chromed /black plastic Horse head at top front of hood. I just brought this one home a week ago , a friend of mine found it right nearby at a local dealership. I was shocked when he called and offered it to me and I didn't waste anytime finding it a spot in the barn. I figured it would go along good with the Classic 60th settin in there. Now I am looking for a GT -2500- anybody have any leads for a nice one? And yes- I have seen the one on E-bay but its too far away!

Brrly1

Hey Bob Which direction is it? I will be making a run over towards Scranton,Pa sometime soon. One just never knows what one may bring back. Burly :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

marvairplanes

Will try one more time.

My Photobucket album.

(edited by TT)

marvairplanes
420LSEAug2008002.jpg

DMESS

A huge congratulations to BOTH of you for capturing one of these Unicorns. I passed up my chance at a new one 10-15 years ago and I kick myself from time to time for doing so. :banghead:

Keep in mind this is the ultimate "maroon stripe" and I am quite envious!

Bob, we'd like pictures of yours as well! :USA:

T-Mo

Marv,

If you don't mind I might use one of your pictures from your album for the calendar. Oh, and could you post some of these in the gallery or give me the years for them so I can do it for you. It would be nice to include some of these. :banghead:

traktorkidd7/30/93

That their looks like an awesome machine........ :banghead:

I gotta get me one of those :horseplay:

refracman

Marv

Congrats on pickin up the 420, man I gotta retire so i can just cruse around lookin for horses, this workin thing is gettin in the way!

C-Series14

I agree with Steve, some of you guys seem to pick up tractors 24/7! I need to do the same, retire early! Unfortunately, the Gov't pays me well to fix their airplanes!!! :banghead: Retire by 50 is my plan!!! :horseplay:

BPjunk

I remember a new, never run 420 sold on Ebay a couple of years ago, and it was in Richmond, which is about an hour and a half away. It had never had oil in the engine- it went for $3500, if my memory serves me.

This 420 LSE was on ebay twice and then I was asked to sell the tractor, a deal was struck to sell the tractor BUT ......... some thing smelled fishy about the deal and I backed out. Now from what I can figure out the seller may not have owned the tractor, after talking to the person who has the tractor there is no hard feelings but there may have been a problem between two others if the tractor was gone.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1219718064.jpg

hodge

The one I witnessed for sale on Ebay was brand new, and looked it. It still had tags hanging off of it, had never had oil put in the engine (it had never been started), and was a thing if beauty. The story told in the description was that the wife was selling it due to divorce, but it belonged to her husband.

CasualObserver

Marv, I looked at the 1986 brochure and it says....

ABOUT OUR COVERS: Pictured is our commemorative tractor, the 420LSE. Only 200 of these Limited Special Edition tractors have been built, each one sequentially numbered. Besides the genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel and seat, the tractor features over 80 chrome components.

I'll try to scan the brochure later... it doesn't have specifically what the 80 are. There aren't any specs or info about the 420LSE in the brochure at all, just the pictures on the front and back covers.

whtractors24
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2008 at 8:17 PM, marvairplanes said:

Production # 51...parked in my shop!!!!

The tractor is a thing of beauty !

One scratch under the seat about 1/2 inch long. I've gone over it a dozen times and can't find any other imperfections. Well, one of the decals should probably be replaced. Wonder if any body is making any for this model?

The red "tarp" cover has never been out of the plastic bag. A set of blades that are still in the box, extra set of chrome deck wheels, original paper work, a binder with receipts for new drive belts, batteries, etc...The key chain is really unique, silver dollar sized with wheel horse engraved.

Everything works perfectly...lights, idiot lights and warnings, etc.

Black leather seat and steerin wheel cover look like new.

Now...here's what I can't figure out.

How can a tractor look this good and have 1700 hours?

No smoke at start up...engine is clean and no leaks or drips. Tires have all their tread and are not weather checked.

All chrome is as shiney as a mirror except for a few rust specks that I can probably rub clean.

Was going to wipe it down and polish it...decided it didn't need it !

Marv (NW Oh)

SWEET I KNOW HAVE #50