Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Loader hydraulic issues

Forest Road

I've got a little problem. I have a 522xi with a factory Kwik Way loader. It works ok but not good. I bought it last year with 1000 hours from a dealer where it was a trade in. The dealer informed me they changed all fluids.

Long story short I checked the fluids and discovered that the loader hydro reservoir was about 1/2 empty. All I had was 30 wt motor oil, I figure any oil is better than no oil. Loader performance is definitely better now. But still disappointing. It doesn't put out enough pressure to curl the bucket in a pile of sand. Not will it lift a full scoop of sand out of the pile. If I back up with the sand it raises and curls ok. But I hear the pumps making some awful noises.

Personally I think the pump may be worn.

So here are my options.

1 - drain the system, and refill with hydro fluid. And then test

2 - just pull the pump and either rebuild or replace

Does anyone have a recommendation for an affordable replacement pump. Are these pumps rebuildable?

Thanks

Kevin

SousaKerry

If the pump ran for a long time without proper oil supply this causes cavitation.  Cavitation in hydraulics is where most problems start.  If you think of the inside of your pump like a watch and you shake the heck out of it for several hours by strapping it to the handle of a jackhammer, you get the idea.  Adding motor oil may work in an emergency but I would seriously recommend against it.  Unless it is like your hydrostatic Eaton Transmission that is designed to run on it. 

Generally motor oil has additive packages that make it perform better in an engine and may not be compatible with the additive packages in your hydraulic oil.  Also motor oil is not nearly as clean as you might think. 

Drain the oil and look for metal in the reservoir. Pumps can generally be rebuilt but you must know who made your pump and model ect.  If you don't have much experience I would take it to a local hydraulic shop and they can tell you if the pump is worth rebuilding or not and help you get parts.  If they are unwilling to help leave and go to the next shop.  If they say it would be cheaper to buy a new one, you will probobly find much better deals online.  You need to know RPM's, shaft size, mountings, and output in GPM. also maximum PSI helps as well.  Most of this can be found once you have the model number.

Jeff-C175

All I had was 30 wt motor oil, I figure any oil is better than no oil.

Is 30 wt the recommended oil for that machine, and is that what was in there already?

Any oil may not be better than no oil if you are putting the wrong stuff in, or mixing incompatible oils together.

Kelly

I have a Quick way loader on my C-195, I was more than disappointed, when trying to lift about 200lbs, it would struggle to lift it, after asking a few questions, I turned the relief valve a 1/4 of a turn at a time to increase pressure, after turning it 3/4 of a turn, now I can lift the back of my race car off the ground 2' in the air, a guess about 1500lbs it flattens the tires to the ground but the loader now picks up anything I want, I think they set them light so you don't over load the tractor.   

I used hyd oil to top mine off, and don't turn the valve up to much you can blow lines or blow seals on the cyl. 

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 1

Forest Road

I have a Quick way loader on my C-195, I was more than disappointed, when trying to lift about 200lbs, it would struggle to lift it, after asking a few questions, I turned the relief valve a 1/4 of a turn at a time to increase pressure, after turning it 3/4 of a turn, now I can lift the back of my race car off the ground 2' in the air, a guess about 1500lbs it flattens the tires to the ground but the loader now picks up anything I want, I think they set them light so you don't over load the tractor.   

I used hyd oil to top mine off, and don't turn the valve up to much you can blow lines or blow seals on the cyl.

That's the kind of info that puts a smile on my face! Where is the relief valve located?

I had planned to drain it and refill with hydro fluid. Just haven't had the time. Usually too busy being daddy when I'm up north.

Kelly

The valve is on the spool valve/controls, mine faces the rear on the right side, with a cap over it, I had a hard time getting the cap off, they did not want joe blow messing with it, I can get a pic if needed. 

Forest Road

I do believ I know what you're referring to. A pic would be great anytime. Unfortunately I won't be up there for a few weeks. Sending you a pm.

Edited by Forest Road

Kelly

You can see the cap over the relief valve cap on the right.

post-85-0-80554300-1376005556_thumb.jpg

Forest Road

Excellent! Thank you!

boovuc

Please let us know how you made out! Good Luck!

SousaKerry

Just a word of caution, Relief Valves are usually factory set for a reason.  It can be quite amazing the amount of stored energy a hydraulic system has and once it is released suddenly the results can be deadly.  My suggestion would be to plumb in a pressure guage when adjusting the relief valve so that you do not exceed the ratings of the pump and lines.  Maximum line pressure is usually printed or molded into the hose and the pump should have a plate that states maximum operating pressure, typically not over 2000 PSI.

Take a look at this link for what can happen even to experienced mechanics.  Warning if you have a weak stomach do not go here

http://www.dennismac.co.uk/hands/hyd/index.html

• Like 1

Forest Road

Thanks for the word of caution! I'm a lineman for an electric utility and am all to familiar with the after effect of failed hydraulic systems.

Several years ago a line on a backhoe blew. One of the guys was right next to it. It pierced his skin. They tended to his wound on the job. He refused further medical attention. Unfortunately he passed away a few days later from an infection related to this injury.

Forest Road

Thank you Kelly!! It took a few minutes with a hacksaw and a pair of pliers but I got that cap off. Then it was easy to make my adjustments. With a little trial and error i turned it up 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn. I can't believe it's the same machine! Even more so I can't believe there are many more of these out there operating at such low pressures. And there's more adjustment left, I think it would be unsafe to go much further.

Before I made this adjustment I was beyond dissappointed in the lift capacity. Especially in last years snow. Now I couldn't be happier or anymore confident.

• Like 1

jwms

Good to post the external medial site. We have a company here that makes cutting tools for the aerospace industry,  water jets that can cut thru most materials (metals, ceramics and composite plastics-carbon fiber) better than a saw. skin and bone is SOFT.