Sign in to follow this  
bean

is this an 856?

bean

a friend of mine has  a wheel horse tractor that he wants to sell to me. it looks like an 856. I haven't started it or even got a close look at it. I did a quick look at it and took this pic.

also, did the 36" tiller ever hook up to this style pto?  wasn't there  a 2 belt system and/or a  different pulley that made it possible.

one last question. is there a 32" deck that will go on this?

pics of the tiller / 32" deck would be greatly appreciated

Edited by bean

neil

Looks like an 856 to me , the hood has 7 holes in the front.

these are very rare here in UK

bean

it doesn't look like the 36" tiller was ever an option on the 4spds. just the hydros and 8spds.

KC9KAS

Looks nice!

bean

the picture makes it look better than it is. looks like someone painted it with a brush, at some time. the red paint was put on afterwards.

it is still pretty solid though.

Tom.

As Neil stated it has the seven slates/holes on the front grill. haven't actually driven or used mine as of yet because camshaft was broken but seems a very solid little machine, wish I had a deck for mine!!

bean

I didn't realize just how small the short frames actually are.  it has been a couple of years since I drove one.   being on the 310 for a while makes me think they have shrunk.  :)

Edited by bean

Killer 2000 Chevy

This is my 855, same tractor, different years. I absolutely love mine. I don't see where you could go wrong.

Kelly

I could be a 855, 856, or 857, it looks like it has a deck on it, they made a 32" and a 36" both look the same just one a bit bigger, the tiller that where used on these are self powered, with a engine on them.

• Like 1

krazy_horse

She looks like my 856 which was my second and most used tractor and the 8 horse is plenty strong.   krazy_horse

dyt4000

Funny how 8hp got the job done back then but now we need 25hp...lol

rmaynard

I had an 856. It was my favorite tractor. Should have never sold it. That looks like an 856, but it could be an 855 or 857. Can you see any remnants of decals under the paint on the side of the hood? The 856 and 855 hood decal just said Wheel-Horse and was positioned near the rear of the hood. The only number was on the drive belt guard, and of course the ID tag under the dash.

Check the engine. The 856 should have a K181S-30108D as did the 857. The 855 is listed as having a K181S-30108A.

But here's another question...what are these?

post-2221-0-08268800-1375884354.jpg

Edited by rmaynard

speedyleedy

I am also guessing it's 855 or 856 :)

Racinbob

rmaynard, I'm thinking the same thing you probably are. Somebody welded those on for some reason. Maybe whoever that is fabricated a weight box mounted directly on the axle???

bean

But here's another question...what are these?

attachicon.gif85X.jpg

that's why I passed on the 856. those are 2 steel tabs that were welded on. they must be stainless.

there were  issues all around the tractor. something similar on the back axle.

he does have a raider 10 and a 60s hydro. the engines have all been swapped. they are all 10-16hp. I can't tell what is what because all the engine id tags are missing or painted over.

everything came from auctions over the years, and is all mismatched. it looks like it has all been in the weather for a year or 2

he is a super nice guy, and we kind of came to a price for the 2 tractors, a plow, and a couple of parts engines.  he has a 36" rd deck from a b80, that I would like, but don't know the condition.

other than the deck,  there is really nothing I want. I was just going to part them out.

mid60's

The belt guard on the S/G suggests 857 to me.

autoxman

I could be a 855, 856, or 857, it looks like it has a deck on it, they made a 32" and a 36" both look the same just one a bit bigger, the tiller that where used on these are self powered, with a engine on them.

I have an 856 that my grandfather bought brand new. I have used the RT-367 tiller that he had with the 856 and it works great, it didn't need to be self powered, it used the PT-6 and two belt lengths to power it.

bean

I have an 856 that my grandfather bought brand new. I have used the RT-367 tiller that he had with the 856 and it works great, it didn't need to be self powered, it used the PT-6 and two belt lengths to power it.

do you have any pics?

autoxman

do you have any pics?

I hope these pictures will help...

Belt tension & belt guard hardware

Tension pullies

Rear Attach-a-matic with pully

Lift rod

Belt Guard

Slot hitch for lift

This is the PT-6

bean

that is very interesting, I would love to see it in action.

autoxman

that is very interesting, I would love to see it in action.

You have to have a well working brake to get it to till the ground completely.

bean
You have to have a well working brake to get it to till the ground completely.

I could see that. I bet the tiller really pushes it along.

Terry M

Your right Kelly. although, if its a 857, you wouldn't have an indentation on the belt guard .  the 855 and 856 would have an indentation on the belt guard where the model # would be. just my 2 cents....

Edited by Terry M

autoxman

Your right Kelly. although, if its a 857, you wouldn't have an indentation on the belt guard .  the 855 and 856 would have an indentation on the belt guard where the model # would be. just my 2 cents....

The belt guard shown bolts over top of the 856 drive belt guard,

I thought that the 855, 856, & 857 were all short frame models,

autoxman

do you have any pics?

Here is the Manual that shows all the hardware attached to the proper locations.

Hope this helps!