Sign in to follow this  
Lagersolut

Paint Respirators

Lagersolut

I'll start this off by saying I'm not a paint guy - I can spray with no runs and mix following directions.

I read some threads guys saying to wear a " good "  respirator when spraying the PPG or the like , I bought an off brand disposable from E-bay for like 12 bucks  ( didn't have any ratings )  and sprayed in an open garage with a fan going .

For those that know more about this can you elaborate what would constitute a " GOOD " respirator for painting if your only doing one tractor vs spraying regularly .

Should we get the  $ 30-50 unit regardless ?

rmaynard

All of the acrylic urethane paints contain iso-cyanates which if inhaled or absorbed through the skin, are extremely dangerous. They will do irreversible damage to the lungs and nervous system.

The paint manufacturers all recommend a constant pressure, full face, fresh air system. They are expensive. My experience says that the manufacturers are just covering their backsides against lawsuits. 

Having said that, my body and paint guy, who has been using acrylic urethanes since they came out, has never used anything other than a good filtered mask. He also paints in a well ventilated paint booth, and protect his skin by covering up.

In my case, I do all my painting outside. The mask that I use is a 3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7503/37083(AAD), with P100/60921 filter for organic vapors. 

I make sure that I have a tight fit to my face (no beard or mustache), and as a rule, if I can smell the paint, it know it isn't working. I replace the filters each time I start a new project, and when I'm not using the mask for more than an hour, I seal it in a large zip-lock plastic bag. When painting, I wear long sleeves and nitrile or latex gloves.

Rules that I live by say that you can never be too safe when working around anything that is toxic. You may not feel the effects of paint fumes except for maybe a little lightheadedness, but it's the long term effects that kill you.

I also use a mask when painting with rattle cans as well.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

When I was young and careless, (contrast to now, old and careless), I never gave a thought to safety... I used to laugh when I'd blow my nose and get different color 'stuff' come out.

But, it's not so much the paint solids that become airborne and inhaled (which is most definitely ALSO a hazard!) but as Maynard says, the volatile chemicals that get inhaled. 

Don't skimp on safety!

dcrage

Isocyanates are a very reactive class of chemicals. Few of the chemicals that I routinely handle raise my "safety" hackels. Isocyanates are ones that do get my attention. The thoughts of inhaled isocyanates reacting with the moisture in my respitory system to make polyurea is NOT appealing in the least.

Lagersolut

Thanks guys , I went old school on mine and sprayed acrylic enamel , but .....I started this because I wasn't really " happy " with the performance of mine,  figured on getting some feedback,  ( I could still smell the paint with the respirator on ) .

Still have some spraying to do,  think I'm going to step up to a quality 3M with replaceable filters and use the other for sanding and dust.......Lowe's has one for $30 .

varosd

lest we forget that isocyanates was the killer in the Bhopal disaster    heck they use phosgene to make isocyanates !!!!! :scared-ghostface: