Sign in to follow this  
rydogg

walk behind bolens tractor

rydogg

I am always checking craigslist for old gas powered equipment and kohler k series engines, I came across this one yesterday close to home so I picked it up.  This is a bolens super versa matic with a k90 kohler that should run, previous owner put a different clutch on it but gave me the original.  I was going to pull the engine and ebay the rest but it is so complete and in great condition for its age I can't take it apart I may hold onto it until I find a bolens ride a matic just in case I need any parts.  I am still on the hunt for a pond walk behind but the bolens will do for now.  Anyone know what the attachment on the front was used for it has several pulleys and is factory except the pieces of angle iron look to be added at sometime.

post-2337-0-51557600-1373231397_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-59604900-1373231423_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-66702900-1373231438_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-76519100-1373231509_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Man, that thing is cool Ryan...makes me want to extend the frame, add a seat, then some front wheels. 

LOL|! Wait a minute...I seem to remember that being done somewhere else before.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Sparky

Original colors? Or did someone in its past paint it John Deere green and yellow.

Mike...........

rydogg

Original bolens colors.

Man, that thing is cool Ryan...makes me want to extend the frame, add a seat, then some front wheels. 

LOL|! Wait a minute...I seem to remember that being done somewhere else before.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

The bolens ride a matic is the rider version much like the wheel horse rj it started out as a walk behind tractor.

• Like 2

Shynon

Saw that one, sent email no response. Now I understand why. Looks like a nice machine. I was thinking making a sulky to ride on.

buckrancher

great buy I bought one for drive parts for my super ride-a-matic that had a sickle bar mower on the front it was missing the hood,gas tank and had a small techy on it

and you are right those are the correct paint colors I wish I had some of the pieces off yours to match paint for mine the tractor's paint is pretty much gone and

the walk behind was painted red over the original color

Brian

Ken B

Nice score! i really like the old Bolens machines and I'd like to find one myself.

rydogg

great buy I bought one for drive parts for my super ride-a-matic that had a sickle bar mower on the front it was missing the hood,gas tank and had a small techy on it

and you are right those are the correct paint colors I wish I had some of the pieces off yours to match paint for mine the tractor's paint is pretty much gone and

the walk behind was painted red over the original color

Brian

If you would like I could loan you some parts to get a paint match. 

I have had one other early bolens, it was a very early rear tine tiller pretty sure it was the first year they made them, I purchased it just for the k90 kohler but like the one I have now it was too nice and unusual to take apart I even used it to till my garden and it did just as good as my troy bilt horse.  I put it on ebay and it sold to a collector out on the east coast, he said the only place he ever seen one was in a brochure,  a uship hauler picked it up and hauled it away from my home.

post-2337-0-51034600-1373247255_thumb.jp

post-2337-0-37578900-1373247308_thumb.jp

• Like 1

47JDG

I have my great grandfather's Bolen's Husky walk behind. Some what similar to yours but older. I have a sickle bar and cultivator for mine. The sickle mower will use that idle pulley on the front on the drive side. I am not sure what the other idle pulley is for on the other side. Maybe someone had some sort of shield rigged up to the angle iron to deflect the tall weeds away from the pulley's while you are running the sickle mower? That is a common problem when going through tall grass. I always get weeds stuck in them.

Wheel-N-It

VERY COOL !!!

ipperwash

Nice Bolens I picked up a Super Versa-Matic with the 7 H P Kohler   reel mower  sickle bar and cultivater try to up load a pic but it was to big

Edited by ipperwash