Sign in to follow this  
Fordiesel69

Walbro vs. Carter......Which is better

Fordiesel69

In regard to the K series, which is a more prefered carburetor?  For some reason I beleive the Walbro makes the engine feel like it has more torque.  Maybe it is mind over matter.

Don1977

My vote would be for the Carter.

Wheelhorse84

I could never get my walbro to stop that lil sputter as soon as I put in a carter it went away.

Shuboxlover

All of the Walbro's I've had have run great (after I rebuilt them)....can't say that I have ever had a Carter though....maybe I'm missing out, but my Walbro's have ran just fine?  Perhaps it's one of those things "you don't know what you have till it's gone (or ever had before)"

MarkPalmer

Personal opinion, but to me the Carters seem to tune easier and run the engine smoother. But I have used Walbros that worked decent too, and they were Kohler's latest designs used, mainly for emissions reasons.

-Mark-

leeave96

The guys I chat with who have the IH Cub Cadets like the Carter over the Walboro.  I think the kits for rebuilding the Carters are lower cost too - but take that with a grain of salt.

Hydro

I have a Walboro on my M14 and a Carter on my M16.  I lie the Carter better but I think the Walboro is more environmentally friendly.  Both engines run well but the 14 breaks under a load and I'm told it's the carb.  The 16 on the other hand would stall itself before it would break.

Fordiesel69

I have a Walboro on my M14 and a Carter on my M16.  I lie the Carter better but I think the Walboro is more environmentally friendly.  Both engines run well but the 14 breaks under a load and I'm told it's the carb.  The 16 on the other hand would stall itself before it would break.

What do you mean it "breaks" under a load?

Hydro

It's ...  hard to describe.. it cuts out when it begins to load up.  The governor is working, the engine loads up, the rpm start to come down under the load.  I'm talking driving the 44 inch blower.  It's fine with a 48 in mower deck.  You can hear it working and then its like there is no more power and it hesitates where are the 16 will draw down under a load I'm going to guess to a stall before it would quit.