Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

48" mower chute

papaglide

I was looking at my mower and comparing dimensions with my new 48". I noticed that the chutes were different. Is this normal? The 48" has the side way lower than the edge of the deck. First is the 48 followed by the 42. The 42 goes about a 1/4" below the edge.

post-2771-0-78106800-1371674718_thumb.jp

post-2771-0-77745200-1371674764_thumb.jp

Edited by papaglide

dsholler

Mine looks the similar, but not quite as far below the deck as yours. Who knows? It could be that they went to a chute cover that was the same as the one on the 60"?
Presumably, the point of the thing is so that if you are mowing on a windy day, the grass does not come out of the chute and blow into the engine and your face.. so the idea would be to have it high enough not to get clogged, but low enough to make sure the cuttings fall down... not sure the slight difference would affect the performance that much.  If you wanted to experiment you could take it off and see if some cuttings get blown out the front of the deck at that point (which might account for why it was made that way) otherwise I cannot see how it matters much, unless it can hit the ground, but it doesn't look like it could.

Jeff-C175

On the older decks, at least on my '80 model 48" deck the chute is fixed, no pivot, and bolted INSIDE the snout of the deck.

I think the chute extension is more to deflect ROCKS (and any other 'shootables') downward.  The one time I was too lazy to put it back on after spring cleaning, I picked up a rock and busted a piece of vinyl siding... 6" higher and it would have been a VERY expensive piece of double glazed low "E" that got hit.  I was about 40' from the house.

Don't mow without the chute if there is the slightest chance of rocks being around.

Jeff-C175

It might be an illusion, but it looks like the 'skirt' on the 48 is not as high as on the 42...

RMCIII

I gotta tell yah, when you posted the pics, I thought it might not be a 48". Mine has adjustable wheels on all 4 corners. Fronts and rears. I thought the 42" decks had the fixed wheels.

Jeff-C175

I just saw your deck in the thread about the "new 48"..." and man, you do a SUPER maintenance job!  That one looks brandy new too!

But when I saw those adjustable wheels, I said... " W T F " ?

Decks for the 5xx series different I guess?

papaglide

What happens is that the new chute scrapes the ground at some points and the chute on the 42 does not....ever.

RMCIII

I guess they do. I replied to another post about decks. It seems the 5xi series have adjustable deck wheels on all 4 corners. In addition, the center wheel is also adjustable with 3 positions. Not sure if it was a special order, but I have noticed that it seems to have more adjustable deck wheels than most I have seen on here.

B-8074

What happens is that the new chute scrapes the ground at some points and the chute on the 42 does not....ever.

I didn't even install the chute on mine. Come to think of it I never had a deck a deck that had one. 

Hydro

I gotta tell yah, when you posted the pics, I thought it might not be a 48". Mine has adjustable wheels on all 4 corners. Fronts and rears. I thought the 42" decks had the fixed wheels.

I think you have the 52" mower deck. http://www.newhavenpower.com/toro_5xi_Series_Attachment_index.html

If you look at all the decks and click on the 48 you will see it's the old style.

Interesting they still showing having new 60" decks in stock.

Great looking tractor by the way  :thumbs:

Edited by Hydro

RMCIII

Gary:

I was thinking the same thing, but the serial number and manual all point to a 48" deck. There is a 42" deck, that is part of a 308-8 in the classified that has similar adjustable deck wheels. Not sure if the center deck wheel has the 3 adjustments, but the front side one's are. I wonder if maybe they did a product run for just a short time with that style to see how the cut would be improved or decreased. Regardless, the deck does a remarkable job. 1 other thing, the weight is listed as 227lbs for the one on the 518, well, that might be without all the Atach-A-Matic Iron, Weighs in at a whopping 284lbs. A tank of a deck. :)

Hydro

Gary:

I was thinking the same thing, but the serial number and manual all point to a 48" deck. There is a 42" deck, that is part of a 308-8 in the classified that has similar adjustable deck wheels. Not sure if the center deck wheel has the 3 adjustments, but the front side one's are. I wonder if maybe they did a product run for just a short time with that style to see how the cut would be improved or decreased. Regardless, the deck does a remarkable job. 1 other thing, the weight is listed as 227lbs for the one on the 518, well, that might be without all the Atach-A-Matic Iron, Weighs in at a whopping 284lbs. A tank of a deck. :)

....who knows but I like the deck you have.   Try as I may I cannot get the front of my deck high enough to cut 3".  I have torqued the truss rod about as much as I think it will stand.  I have just bought a 5 1/2"  HD composite wheel with bearings on both sides and I am going to make a bracket so I can adjust the front of my deck to level at 3".  I will install this wheel in the centre of the deck widening and extending the original centre bracket.

I really like the 48.  It does a great job for me as well but I am cutting lower than I want at 2 3/4"

• Like 1