Sign in to follow this  
abrown0920

753 Governor issue

abrown0920

I recently came into a 753 and the external governor pieces and throttle cable are screwed up. The throttle cable is coming in over the top of the engine and down to the speed control disk. The disk hit part of the block and I believe it is not installed right but all of the service literature I have found does not reference this governor set-up. Does anyone have a picture or drawing of how a 753 governor should look.

Thanks, Adam

Rollerman

Adam welcome to Red Square!

Take a look at this thread...it should help you with your govenor.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3912

When you get down to the illustrations...pay close attention to images 6-39 & 6-42

Your throttle cable should be fastened to the "Throttle Bracket" & the cable will go to the disc.

They can be a pain sometimes to get to work smoothly on the small block Kohlers.

If you need help just ask....thats what Red Square is all about. B)

abrown0920

All of that makes sense to me, I am just trying to figure out how it (my 753) is supposed to be. The brackets on mine aren't set up to look or work like the ones in the diagrams.

see pictures below:

DSCN2472.jpg

DSCN2477.jpg

It is kind of baffling to me:

The speed control disc on mine is set between the block and thread shaft bushing and would spin freely but it catches and rubs on the head of the pin the holds the governor in place.

That causes resitance on the speed coontrol disc and I'm sure that is part of the problem but there aren't any external governor springs either and I can't see anyplace where they are supposed to go.

Looking at all that made me wonder if the choke cable is routed coorectly also. see last picture.

DSCN2479.jpg

Thanks for any help! I am sure glad to have found this forum. Been looking for an active and informative WH group to be part of for a few weeks and finally found it.

Rollerman

Adam the choke is correct.

But the gov assembly is a bit screwy...your only missing the one part.

Thats the throttle bracket...but it's the way it all fits in there that may help with your binding.

The throttle bracket is kind of U shaped & slides in behind the disc & the block.

That brass nut in behind the govenor lever has steps in it as you unthread it.

the disc sets on one step & the throttle bracket on the other.

Give me a PM...I' should have a throttle bracket laying around.