Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

NUT & WASHER BLUES!

illinilefttackle

:whistle: All right-I had enough! I talked to just about every parts guy in the phone book-and some that are not. They all give the same answers-"I'm sorry sir the washer is nla-and the nut is in our store in timbucktu. It will cost $2.00 shipping to get it here (nut costs $1.69) .

I'm not doing it!-There has to be some specs on these parts-so I could find something similar that would work just as well!

OH I FORGOT-we are talking about the nut and washer that hold on the flywheel on a K-301.

I did talk to a nice old gent in Nappanee that sounded like he had at least seen these parts before-he said the washer is thicker, harder than normal & the nut is a locking nut Grade 5 or better. IS THAT right? Anybody got any neat ideas-I'd surely like to hear them. Thanks-AL B)

Teddy da Bear

Al....maybe I could help you if I knew more about what your looking for.

You told us what it is for....but I do not have a clue unless I could see what it looks like.

My dad saved every bolt and nut he had to deal with. And I am thanking him now and again for doing that.

The better a description you can give....the easier it would be for me to find it.

Did you try Grainger tool???

I saw a real nice C-175 twin auto in Benton Harbor for $875....

TT

The nut is nothing more than a 5/8 - 18 MAR-LOC

illinilefttackle

B) Thanks Guys for your input-You know that guy upstairs rewards hard work.

I took the old engine out and put the new one in R&Ring as I went- THEN-I got to the flywheel....... I dug out some old buckets that I had stored nuts and bolts in from the ole Autio Shop days, It took me 1/2 hour but I found a good sturdy. fine thread Nut on a Grade 5 bolt. I then remembered that when I took the flywheel off of the other engine-it had a strange assortment of washers on it----THERE it was!-The heavy washer I was looking for! Evidently they still used it when the changed the cranks-to put pressure on the Flywheel.

I'll put some Red Loctite on the nut, torque it to 55 lbs, and I should be good to go!

Maybe even light the fire in this Puppy tomorrow!

Thanks again-AL :horseplay:

illinilefttackle

:whistle: WELL-I hit the horse in earnest today. Boy talk about little things to hook up,attach,etc! NOTE: To those guys out there with hands the size of mine-NOTCH out the 2 lower attachment holes in the main shroud-THE only way to go when putting the shroud back on! At least on the tractors with RUBBER engine mounts and carraige under the engine.

I must confess, I put a couple of things on and off a couple times (forgot to put something on first). Its been over 2 months since I pulled some of these parts off.

I put the flywheel on with the heavy washer(WH) that I found and a Grade 5 Lock nut with some Hi-Strength Loc-tite, torqued to 50 pounds.

I do have one problem-the plastic connector for the rectifier. The wire terminals have given up the ghost and wont stay in the plastic terminal any more-I put them on the rectifier without the plastic conector-taking care they werent touching each other. DOES ANY ONE SELL THE CONNECTOR AND ITS WIRE TERMINALS?

The engine will now CRANK, and I have FUEL, and SPARK. I stopped there-no money for more gasoline, and oil. I will need to get at least 6 quarts of oil- and 3 gallons of gas, and well, I'm POOPED! I still must set the governor,etc. I'm leaving the muffler off so The JOHN DEERE guy across the way knows when I start this bad boy up!

I"LL keep you posted-hope tp get pics too! Especially when it starts up!-Thanks-AL B)

Teddy da Bear
I'm leaving the muffler off so The JOHN DEERE guy across the way knows when I start this bad boy up
I am sensing a neighborhood challenge here. Next thing you know.....we will be hearing of a left tackle being warned by police about "hole shots" in the street. OR worse yet.....red and green drag racing...B)

Buzz

I am sensing a neighborhood challenge here. Next thing you know.....we will be hearing of a left tackle being warned by police about "hole shots" in the street. OR worse yet.....red and green drag racing...:whistle:

Methinks there was an earlier thread where the neighbor bad-mouthed the 'Horse and bragged about his Deere B) but when push came to shove didn't show up.

Good thing he didn't or he would have needed B)

illinilefttackle

B) Buzz-You doth remember right! He now mows his grass when I'm at work-doesn't want to face me! He's probably wondering where the Horse is, because he sees me cutting the grass with my Dads Ranch King.

Wait til he hears the big Kohler start up! I'll probably have to put the muffler on to drive around, but thats Ok! He will probably turn YELLOW & GREEN with envy-Oh wait- a- minute he's already Green & Yellow-mostly YELLOW.

Ah-I love my nieghbors! -AL :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

Congrats on getting ready to go.

Best of luck - have FUN B) :banana: :horseplay: tomorrow.