Sign in to follow this  
crem

help needed again

crem

Hi again everybody,

Yes it's me again, sorry I will drive you all bonkers with questions and needing help.

I've started the very slow strip down of my 312-8 today. Measuring and listing every screw, nut and bolt as I go so that I can get it all back together again afterwards.

But yes I'm stuck already! can any explain to me how to remove the steering wheel? as I can't for the life of me work out how it's fixed?

I am almost positive it's the original one to the tractor, if that helps?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Road-Track

Do a search in all Forums with "steering wheel removal" as topic. You will find thread s that go on for pages.

Hope that helps

Lagersolut

I just pulled mine off a  '79 c-101 - was on with a roll pin , they need to be hammered out with a punch , but even after the roll pin was out I still needed to drill a small hole in the center of the steering wheel  so I could get a puller on the steering shaft - so yes after 34 years it took my wheel puller to force it off, no amount of hammering with my rubber or dead blow hammers would budge it .

953 nut

Like "GoldsRed" said, there is a roll pin that needs to be driven out with a punch. If you go to the MANUALS tab on this site and go to the 1988 312-8 parts manual number 899399N part 1 you will see an exploded view of the steering parts. You can download both parts of the manual for free and refer to them as you go along.

After you have driven out (or drilled it out if needed ) you will want to use a little PB BLASTER and let it work in. If you plan to reuse your steering wheel be sure to use a puller that has wide fingers or even better if you have one that has two pieces that bolt around the shaft that will help reduce damage to the wheel. Slow and careful will save you money in the long run.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:USA:  

Tankman

Well put, "Slow and careful will save you money in the long run."

Not in a rush, been soaking a steering wheel with PB for a month. PB in the roll pin, was able to tap, tap, tap the pin out, yeah!

Do use a puller to avoid damage to the steering wheel "or else!" :smile:

KC9KAS

This is the type of puller that will cause the LEAST damage....

image_17610.jpg

meadowfield

Like the advice says, look for the roll pin....

If you can take the wheelshaft and hood stand all off in one go, then you can clamp the shaft in a vice and then punch the pin out.

Don't hit the pin on the machine if you can help.

Mark