Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Tomorrow...

leeave96

I've been traveling for the salt mine and left orders not to mow the grass (probably a bad idea) and it is really tall and thick.  It's a given that I'm going to leave a lot of windrowing with the 314-8 and the 36 inch RD deck.

I've been crying about the mule drive belt on my 48 inch deck slipping with the 520H, so I might put a new belt on and with the taller grass and have a little test to see the new belt slips.  I think most, if not all of the replies to the grass cutting/belt slippage posts I've made reply to me and report that their belt doesn't slip.  Tomorrow I might find out!

The 520H has Matt's foot control.  It worked great with the aerator - should be the ticket with the mowing deck too.

Worse case - I'll mow with the 48 inch deck and then re-mow with the 36 inch RD deck with sweeper in tow.  Actually, that would be the best case - more seat time... ;)

Anyone falling behind on their mowing yet?

Thanks!

Bill

tunahead72

Heck, yeah!

I just today managed to finish mowing my back yard for the first time this year.  It was actually done in three stages over the course of 4 or 5 days.  The first two passes were done with the deck raised (in the transport position), and the final pass with the deck lowered to where I usually like to keep it.

And now it's raining -- I'll be behind all summer!

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

It's been a week and a half for me, we usually do it every week. The grass is pretty long but that's probably good because it's healthier. I'll be mowing after school.

Tankman

It's been a week and a half for me, we usually do it every week. The grass is pretty long but that's probably good because it's healthier. I'll be mowing after school.

You should never mow more than 1/3 of the grass off at cutting time. Hurts the grass, will need time to recuperate. Sorry, studied agronomy years ago at Penn State.

I mow whenever bored or whenever (or every time) the Grandson(s) show up. Those boys are WH fanatics! :smile:

"The grass looks terrible Pop-Pop, we better mow! That Horse needs exercise!"

• Like 4

546cowboy

This has been a wet spring this year and I have been trying to keep up but it seems what looks good one day is 8" tall the next day. Keeping up pretty good so far but I just don't have the time to use the Horses. Have to use the Woods Z to get the 3+ acres done so I have time to work on the Horses. If it's like last year the drought will kick in again and temps around 100 will slow it down.

Pollack Pete

You should never mow more than 1/3 of the grass off at cutting time. Hurts the grass, will need time to recuperate. Sorry, studied agronomy years ago at Penn State.

I mow whenever bored or whenever (or every time) the Grandson(s) show up. Those boys are WH fanatics! :smile:

"The grass looks terrible Pop-Pop, we better mow! That Horse needs exercise!"

Hey Tankman,are you sure it's the little guys that are the WH fanatics????Ha,ha.

brandonozz

I mowed the back yard in the dark at 10:00 PM day before yesterday!  Only chance I had as it has been wet and calling for four days of rain in a row.  It was still wet and left rows but at this point I dont care - you got to do what you got to do!

bean

if the belt slippage is a problem, or the grass starts coming out in clumps, try the small pulley on your pto. it slows the blades down 20-25% and seems to help. it worked for me in 12" grass. it's worth a try, if all else fails.

Wishin4a416

So far my B.I.L. and I have kept up somehow keeping 14 acres clean. He is retired so that really helps. My F.I.L .passed May 1st and He did most of the mowing but we are keeping it clean now for the M.I.L.

• Like 3

Butch

Anyone falling behind on their mowing yet?

Thanks!

Bill

You kiddin me!! I've been mowing every other day with my C-85. Grass grows fast this time of year. And last year at this time my front lawn was all woods with

under growth. But my Wheelhorses plowed, graded and raked in a nice seedbed last fall. Now for the first time I have a front lawn and love it!

Tankman

So far my B.I.L. and I have kept up somehow keeping 14 acres clean. He is retired so that really helps. My F.I.L .passed May 1st and He did most of the mowing but we are keeping it clean now for the M.I.L.

10-4, Roger Wilco, I hear that! I too am retired so I often just take a ride on one of my Stallions. Grandsons are always disappointed to see my lawn mowed but, we mow again anyways.

Over 'n Out, 10-4. Ride 'em cowboy! :smile:

Wheel-N-It

This year especially it seems like as soon as I finish, I have to start all over again. I'll be mowing tomorrow morning right after that first cup of coffee.

CRE1992

You should buy my dixie chopper... its got a 72" deck and a fuel injected kohler engine lol.

leeave96

Update:  Put the 48 inch deck on the 520H and set about mowing.  Grass was tall, thick and halfway though started getting wet from the dew.  The mower did GREAT!  As much as I have been belly aching about slipping belts, I had none of that today.  In fact, several times, the Onan was loaded to the extent I could hear it lugging down just a little bit - but it kept the RPMs as the governor kicked-in and grunted through the grass easily.  I didn't finish mowing - got dark on me.  I'll finish sometime tomorrow and post some after pics.  For now, this is the only pic I have.

post-6085-0-13699400-1369450240_thumb.jp

Thanks!

Bill

Wishin4a416

You should buy my dixie chopper... its got a 72" deck and a fuel injected kohler engine lol.

I know they are nice, but to hilly and steep here. We use 4 wheel drives.

leeave96

Update:  Finished-up the mowing today.  Grass was heavy and in need of mowing a week ago!  The 520H w/ foot control was a pleasure to operate.  I went over the grass I mowed yesterday and re-cut the clippings.  I'll do the same again Monday and hopefully have my yard back under control.  I was going to post some pics, but didn't think about taking any pictures until I got the tractor put away - LOL!!