Red-Bovine

Repowering our 520H

zeedubbya

That looks great! Was just mowing ( 8 inch grass) today with my 520h and thinking how great it cuts but how concerned I am with the Onan letting go! I'd sure like to have the money and time to do this conversion! Thank you for the detailed information!

Forest Road

Nicely done! I highly recommend Matt's Foot pedal kit. You'll wonder how you mowed without it.

Red-Bovine

I just PM'd Matt for my foot control. I always thought this tractor should have that. We got 22 years out of the Onan. Another twenty would be great. Just couldn't possibly buy a tractor anywhere near this quality for 2 grand. 

Red

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

Just finished the lawn with the new Honda powered 520H. Very nice. No issues and the engine purred along like it should. I think the economy is better than the Onan, but I didn't have a full tank to start with to be sure. Checked the RPM with a Tiny Tach and it seems to be putting along at about 3700 rpm. Starts like a champ and idles nicely too. Look's like a winner!!! Can't wait to get Matt's Go Pedal system.

Red :)  :) :)  :)  :)  :)  

leeave96

Great news!  You'll like the foot control too.

I guess after the foot control kit, you're next project will be a 2nd tractor, 3rd tractor, 4th tractor... :eusa-think:

Jake Kuhn

That turned out very nice!

Red-Bovine

Great news!  You'll like the foot control too.

I guess after the foot control kit, you're next project will be a 2nd tractor, 3rd tractor, 4th tractor... :eusa-think:

Thanks!!! One good tractor is enough. Probably more yard work ahead, now, though. :laughing-rolling:

Red :handgestures-thumbupright:

z34monty

I too have a 520H with the onan motor, which is shot. I checked out Honda GX 690 and Kohler command pro. I went with the Kohler, cause it has more power and torque.My mower deck is 60in. and I pull 60in. pull behind and I mow four acres

leeave96

I too have a 520H with the onan motor, which is shot. I checked out Honda GX 690 and Kohler command pro. I went with the Kohler, cause it has more power and torque.My mower deck is 60in. and I pull 60in. pull behind and I mow four acres

It would be great if you could post some pics and maybe elaborate on how you did the engine change-out, problems encountered, etc.

Thanks!

Bill

• Like 1

dodgemike

Very nice install. To those not knowing WH it looks factory. And

You are right my C121 is 35 years

Old. Still original well maintained

Drivetrain. No box store tractor

Even comes close. My father in law is on his 3rd

One in ten years. He bought one

Of those green ones. He was bragging on it ( he only mows) I

Said hook em up. Old Red will drag

Your but down the street!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

just finished this thread on re powering. it was very very interesting. Red, thumbs up on your job. And Monty, cant wait to see pics of your job underway, good luck.

Glenn

Red-Bovine

After nearly a season of mowing (48" deck) and some deep snow removal (44" two stage blower) this winter, I can honestly say this was a good investment and the Honda motor works perfectly with PLENTY of POWER. No problems at all with the Honda GX630.

Red

• Like 1

leeave96

After nearly a season of mowing (48" deck) and some deep snow removal (44" two stage blower) this winter, I can honestly say this was a good investment and the Honda motor works perfectly with PLENTY of POWER. No problems at all with the Honda GX630.

Red

Good news to hear!  I think these 520H tractors with the swept forward axle and gear reduction steering are GREAT machines and are a SUPER platform on which to re-power if it becomes necessary.

I would imagine the foot control made working your snow thrower much easier!

Red-Bovine

Matt's foot control is AWESOME!!! I love it!!

Red

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Red, if ever possible a video of that re powered beast chewing through the snow would be awsome.

Glenn

Red-Bovine

I'll see what I can do. Have to wait for the next snowfall. My hubby has already cleared the last one.

Red

608KEB

I have a 93 520-H that I'm going to semi restore. I did pick up one of Matt's foot pedals and can't wait to try it!

LAWRENCE JEWETT

post-7705-0-72546800-1417395694_thumb.jp

I know of a member on here that re-powered one of his 520's with a Honda that was supposed to be ready for the 520 conversion. It came from one of the well know en Web site's that promoted the Honda conversion. Short story- it was anything but. He had to do or I should say undo their attempt at wiring, Refab some of PTO stuff. It ended up being a good motor for his 520 and he likes the power. It just not all what the advertised just drop in and go. He talked to the place where purchased it and they were no help at all. Just be careful what your getting into.

I also had numerous issues with my Honda GX-670 install.  The wiring harness was incorrect and I had to rebuild the clutch bracket.  The engine was supposed to be direct bolt-in. Crankshaft bushing on the fan side also caused the engine to seize.  Honda would not stand by the engine because they said it was not intended to be installed in an application with horizontal loads.  The repower vendor took the engine back and rebuilt it with a thrust washer on the  fan side.  It has been working great since then and I am happy with it.  I have been told that any engine installed in this type of application should have bearings on both sides of the crankshaft.

• Like 1

slammer302

I'm surprised to hear the GX-670 doesn't use roller bearings on the crank shaft even most of the Honda knock offs have roller bearings