Sign in to follow this  
John159

Oil Change

John159

OK - I feel stupid now.  I just finished cutting the grass and decided it was time to change the oil for the first time for my 2002 315-8. I rode up on stones to tip the tractor, went around the side to place the flat oil collection basin underneath and found that I couldn't get anywhere near the oil drain.

How the heck do you change the oil in these units without getting oil everywhere???

Thanks

Don1977

I cut the top off a plastic gallon jug leave the handle. You will need to hold it in place as you drain the oil with the deck on the tractor.

953 nut

Before your next oil change go to the hardware store and buy a pipe niple and a 90, tilt the tractor the other way (drain plug high), pull the plug, screw in the pipe,put on the 90 and put in the plug. Now you can let it down, use your pan and not make a mess!

:USA: 

John159

For simplicity, this time I’ll use the milk jug but I am intrigued by the other option.  Both options are better than what I was considering.

Thanks

W9JAB

I had to pull the battery and battery plate, to installed a tee. One side of the tee goes to the drain as seen in the photo, the other side is used for a temperature probe to monitor the oil temperature, as my engine dose not build oil pressure. This makes it a snap to change the oil as I do it every ten hours of running time.

ALASKA202.jpg

gallery_1156_349_811142.jpg

Don1977

The old Kohlers came with the 90 degree angle and 3/8" pipe with the cap out to the side. I put it on my Vanguard when I changed engines.

I moved it to the front as the vanguard had drains on both side and I have more room there.

SAM_0242.jpg

MalMac

You guys take all the fun out of changing oil. I thought making a big mess was part of it. When I think I am doing good I manage to bump the oil drain pan and slosh oil everywhere then I usually can find something to drop in the used oil and splash everywhere or when pouring the used oil out of the drain pain I spill it. Then there is the being super careful when pouring new oil in as not to spill any on a nice clean tractor and end up sneezing or the oil bottle slips ever so slightly and get oil poured on the engine. Putting an extension on the help drain the oil is a great idea which I have done. I just can't seem to fix being clumsy or fix the moments when stupid kicks in.

• Like 1

Trouty56

You guys take all the fun out of changing oil. I thought making a big mess was part of it. When I think I am doing good I manage to bump the oil drain pan and slosh oil everywhere then I usually can find something to drop in the used oil and splash everywhere or when pouring the used oil out of the drain pain I spill it. Then there is the being super careful when pouring new oil in as not to spill any on a nice clean tractor and end up sneezing or the oil bottle slips ever so slightly and get oil poured on the engine. Putting an extension on the help drain the oil is a great idea which I have done. I just can't seem to fix being clumsy or fix the moments when stupid kicks in.

Yeah....I hear what you are saying here.  I look like a diesel mechanic as soon as I turn the wrench on a oil change.  I have tried gloves up to a full body suit.....kick a tool in the black hole that exists where ever I seem to be.

All good ideas here.....