Sign in to follow this  
Barney

Engine knocks REALLY loud,but runs.

Barney

OK I am really new on this wheel horse.....I just lost 1  1967 in a fire.

Now I bought another one...that has sat for aboutr 5 years....got it started and it has this really LOUD knock....so we took the motor out (Thought it might be a sticking lifter)

But it looks like the cam shaft is broke.....I can see a crack in it. Have not removed it yet.

Also guys I am 74 and hope to really get into this cuz I  loved the one that burned up.

Can I het a price on a new cam?? are they still available??

Thanks VERY much.

Standing by.....Bareney

Trouty56

Hi Barney and welcome to the forum....I can tell you these guys will want to know as much about the engine and Wheel Horse model as possible. So why don't you repost and tell us as much as you can about the tractor you are working on.  I'll bet these guys can give you all the information you need....... :)

MarkPalmer

If the engine is a K181 (8 HP) a broken cam in a well worn out engine is not uncommon, as excessive wear in the crankpin bearing can allow the one rod bolt to come up and hit the cam.  Let us know what engine you are working on.

-Mark-

VinsRJ

Welcome to Red Square!

As stated you will need to provide the Serial and Spec Number of your Kohler and the model WH you have.

As for broken cam shafts, I have not personally seen one but there are a number of examples noted here on RS. You may want to also do a search of priro posts.

Barney

Well thanks for all the speedy replies to my ??................

I have a Wheel Horse Uni-drive commando 8

Motor housing says K181S D150156

Spec# 3010D.

So is the cam a 1 piece unit or does it have 2 pcs?? IE: A cam gear and a (sleeve type spacer??

Right now its sitting in the back yard...Until I build another shed to put it in,Then I can really start to restore it and have fun.

Thanks to all who reply.

Barney (Linden,Mi.)

JimmyJam

Welcome to Red Square Barney!! The Kohler K181 and the Commando 8 are real nice machines and easy to work on. Parts (Kohler or after-market) are still available!

WH nut

Go to the manuals section and you can down load just about anything you want to know about anything

MarkPalmer

That K181 (should be 30108D spec) came with the single piece ACR cam.  You can however use the older spec two piece (non-ACR) spark advance cam in it and it will run just fine, but sometimes especially when cold the starter/gen can have a bit of a hard time cranking the engine- it just means you always need a healthy battery and tight belt to the S/G.  If this older cam is used, make sure the points cam is installed in the proper position.  It is best to get the original ACR cam if possible.   

-Mark-

Fordiesel69

Can you strip the cam out of the one that was burned up?  I know that is a dumb question but often the internals are ok and just the sheet metal and accessories are roasted.

WH nut

Can you strip the cam out of the one that was burned up?  I know that is a dumb question but often the internals are ok and just the sheet metal and accessories are roasted.

I would think so

Barney

Thanks for all the help on the engine problem I have. I must also remember to PUT all the numbers and letters in when I ask for help.

This is still a learning curve for me.Again Thanks

Now on to find out where I can get/locate this ACR cam and maybe get it back together and running.

Now I think I just need the cam and gasket set.

Barney :)

MarkPalmer

There is a very nice K181 ACR cam on Fleabay right now, cheap.  (Not mine yadda-yadda.)  Check your rod bearing and crankpin VERY carefully, best to measure the parts with a micrometer for excessive out of roundness.  There is a reason why the cam snapped, and that is usually the reason why. 

-Mark-

aremai4_27

jackssmallengines.com is a good place to look up part numbers and diagrams, we use it at work all the time. As far as availability, if you can't buy it from Jacks, you can use the part number to search other retailers, and even ebay and amazon will have the parts a lot of times.

Barney

Mark Palmer......Could/would you get mme the info on the cam you saw on Fleabay?? I have tried,but can get no where.

I have tried searching Kohler engine......ACR cam and as far as I can get is ITS NOT IN MICHIGAN.....So I am really at a loss.

OR if anyone has one,I will deeply appreciate hearing from you.

]

I scrapped the old one too soon,never dream ing I could find another one so quick.

Even went back to the scrap yard....BUT its gone to the shredder already..

Thanks to all.

Barney

MarkPalmer

Just type "Kohler K181 camshaft" in to the E-Bay search.  There look to be a few good ones on there now cheap. 

-Mark-