Sign in to follow this  
B-8074

Replacement heavy duty tie rods........

B-8074

Has anyone found replacement tie rod ends other than from Toro? I was thinking maybe from a compact car.  

SCOOBY 312-h

i have seen heim joints they are spheireical joints and they last a lot longer than the regular joints. our local ace hardware sells them you may find them at lowes or home depot.

GlenPettit

There's several on eBay right now, (two different people make them; New Jersey & in Indiana), about $45/pair -- several different brands of small tractors use the exact same tie rods/ball joints,  very nice and heavy duty, they work perfect on my Wheel Horses.

140_zpsdcdc6b8e.jpg

Plus there lots of both new and used ones for sale at the big Wheel Horse Show in PA, June 21 & 22, and the prices are very good (less).

ToroHorse

McMaster Carr has a number of sizes, materials & sealed units.  The first link are identical to the original used on many tractors with an added seal on the ball joint.  Others are greasable, stainless steel etc etc:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-links/=m8dgns

http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-links/=m8dh2h

• Like 1

JUSS10

i use the economy rod ends from racingrodends.com. They are around $3 a piece and they do free shipping. I get two left hand and two right hand rod ends, picked up some LH and RH 3/8-24 taps and found a steel tube that i could thread the inside to 3/8. Makes for prettty affordable, adjustable, tie rods. 

squonk

I made these tie rods with sperhical rod ends, some round stock and some bolts.

KC9KAS

Copied from another post on RS

Make your own out of steel rod and a couple of threaded ball joints. Get smooth rod and cut threads at the ends, and then you can get these nice heim style joints from McMaster Carr, they really do a nice job. (You could also use standard universal ball joint ends, but at the same price, why?)

heim_joint.jpg

heim_joint2.jpg

I haven't made any for a WH yet, but I use them on my Cub 100, and they work well.

• Like 2

Duff

Newtractorpix1003.jpg

All parts from McMaster-Carr, and not that expensive!

~Duff

• Like 2

B-8074

Thanks for all the replies. There's a lot of good info here, but I was looking for greasable ones for use with a forward swept axle. 

big mike

I get mine from Motion Ind. ,less than 10.00 each.

• Like 1

Don1977

I used 1/2 Heim joints and bushed them down to 3/8" and used 3/8" NF bolts.

Imgp1311.jpg

• Like 1