Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Front wheel size

bo dawg

I've always wondered but never asked, and at some point I probably even knew the answer. But what is the purpose of some of the front wheels the smaller 6" size verus the 8"? The 6" just looks so weak, where the 8" looks better and stronger.  

I've never had a tractor with the 6" so could you just change the wheels out with the 8"s or do you have to change spindles too?

Is that the only difference with the front end?

farmer

I believe it has to do with clearance with certain sizes of cutting deck,
I'm sure someone will know details.  ;)

SousaKerry

37" decks require more room under the tractor due to their unique angled design hence smaller tires for more clearance

Wheel-N-It

I've always thought too that it had something to with cost. Cutting down on a wheel size here, lack of wheel covers there, no hour meter, 13" steering wheel verses a 15" steering wheel, all those little things added up to make a new Wheel Horse a little more affordable to someone with a very limited budget back when they were being manufactured.

855ownerJoel

I would think that front to back needs to be the right size also to sit level, or you may have problems with being able to level a mowing deck etc.

Racinbob

I think it was a cost cutting thing too. 8" will go on just fine and with a little adjustment of the deck it will level properly.

sorekiwi

The 300 series tractors with the 6" wheels use a taller spindle than a standard (8" wheel) spindle.  Putting 8" wheels on one of these tractors does raise the front around an inch unless you swap spindles.

Tall spindles (from a 312-A):

IMG_3071.jpg

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

After my Avatar pic was taken I installed 8" wheels on my 312-8. I left the stock tall spindles on it, and like the taller look alot. I would not go with the shorter spindle. In fact I am thinking of putting the taller ones on my 416-8 or 417-A. I have an extra set here at home.

• Like 1

bo dawg

Thanks for the imput guy's, I believe it was probably a combination of all. Thanks sorekiwi for the picture and info, that makes sence and kinda what I figured. Outside of the 300 series that you normaly would see the 6", I've seen a 400 series with them. Did WH do that? 

Whmaverick

It makes the raised hight of front blades higher too, when putting the larger wheels on the stock 300 series spindles.